General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing AC Compressor

My AC compressor took a **** a couple summers ago and I was wondering how hard it is to change it? I don't really want to pay someone to do it if it's just removing the belt, sensor, and bolts.

So, has anyone changed one before? If so, what all does it consist of and how long does it usually take? I assume I will need to get the system flushed and recharged?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about the people that have deleted their AC? How easy was it to remove? I know there are quite a few of you that have done so...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure you have to loosen front swaybar to have enough space to attach the compressor and lines on top
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cjels1
Pretty sure you have to loosen front swaybar to have enough space to attach the compressor and lines on top
Doesn't seem terrible.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you remove the lines from the compressor, it will vent the refrigerant to the atmosphere which you will then have to pay for again. Then you will have to take it to a shop to pull vacuum on the system and have it refilled. If you bring it to a shop in the first place, they can recover the refrigerant and put it back into the system. If you try to fill it yourself using a kit from autozone you won't be able to get the air out of the system which will lead to compressor problems down the road.

All of that above is in addition to the fact that depending on how your compressor went out, if the system has been contaminated with metal shards it will have to be cleaned out.

I think you could do the replacement of the compressor yourself, that much is easy. But to get it working right you'll need to bring it to a professional, unless of course you have the right tools to do everything yourself which is not normal.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The compressor seized up. I had the defrost on one morning because it was a chilly morning and I was driving to work, started to smell smoke and when I pulled into the parking lot smoke started coming out of the engine compartment. So I don't know if the clutch just didn't engage or what actually caused it to seize.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Erik, if you replace it yourself, replace the ac dryer as well before you take it in to have it evacuated and recharged. Napa carries the dryers. Also do not forget to replace the line seals. They look kinda like washers. You can do it. It is not that hard. Oh and mine was empty of refrigerant already from a leak though.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I had to go through this mental battle a couple of years ago too. I decided to have mine changed professionally and it cost me right at $1000. However, by the time you take it to a shop to have it evacuated, then replace the parts, and then take it back to the shop to have it refilled, I think you're looking at around $600 in parts and labor if I remember correctly. However, the posts about getting everything flushed out correctly to make sure the new parts don't fail is what convinced me to have it done. I didn't want to pay $600 and do it myself only to have to do it again a year later if I didn't get all the metal shavings out from when my compressor failed. I figured I'd rather pay the extra $300-$400 to have it done by a shop with a warranty, then do it myself and hope I got all the metal shavings out...

Quick Reply: Changing AC Compressor