General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak! Oil pressure switch location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak! Oil pressure switch location?

Hey guys my 99 T/A is leaking oil pretty badly. My dad and I traced the leak and it seems to be coming from the back of the engine where the engine and the transmission meet. We have recently replaced the rear engine seal because it was leaking and all of a sudden its leaking again. Could be either a gasket or maybe we put the rear engine seal incorrectly but we won't know until we drop the tranny. Another theory my dad thought of was maybe the oil pressure switch is located in the back of the engine at the top and its leaking a bit.Maybe we wont have to drop the tranny, its a bitch on these cars lol Well my question is where exactly is the oil pressure switch and what other recommendation to have about this leak? I put like a quart of oil every 2 weeks -_-. Oh yes and the leaks seems to be coming from the top of the engine down the passenger side. Help please!!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

Oil pressure switch is behind the intake manifold, on the driver side.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Leak could be coming from the valve cover or valley plate but it shouldn't be leaking that much oil from those places.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
Oil pressure switch is behind the intake manifold, on the driver side.
So to get to it I'd just have to remove the intake manifold correct? But since its on the driver side it may not be the source of the leak then right? Well wouldn't hurt to check it out. Thanks a lot for your response.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Leak could be coming from the valve cover or valley plate but it shouldn't be leaking that much oil from those places.
Thanks I'll check that out. thanks again for your response.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's possible to change the sensor without removing the intake but it's a pita. There's a special deep socket to remove it also. Good luck finding your leak bro.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

It's possible to change the sensor without removing the intake but it's a pita. There's a special deep socket to remove it also. Good luck finding your leak bro.
Yea i've read about that but I go to my car and im like "thats just not possible". You think I can get to it through the bottom if I remove my exhaust? And yea the socket for it i read they have it at autozone or oreilys for like 10 bucks.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Another question if I do end up removing the intake manifold are the gaskets reusable or will I have to get new gaskets too?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Success!!!!!!

Ok so I was able to remove the oil pressure sensor without taking off the intake manifold and man was it a PITA!!! lol The hardest part was actually trying to remove the special socket after the sensor had been tightened and to clip the freaking wire back on. Space is extremely limited. My dad is a diesel engine mechanic but is pretty much a great all around mechanic but he could not get to the freaking sensor because his hands were just to big. I have big hands too but I'm a pretty skinny guy so I was able to barely get my hands in there. All I had to remove was what looked like a big rubber breather hose that runs through the back close to the firewall and the throttle cables from their clip. Getting the hands back there was a B****!!!! I'm all scrapped up haha But I believe the oil pressure switch was the source of the leak. The little area around the sensor was just covered in fresh oil and well here's a look see on how the sensor looked

Ima drive it around a few days and hope that was all that was wrong.

Quick Reply: Oil leak! Oil pressure switch location?