General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt squeak sound after reaching operating temp.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Belt squeak sound after reaching operating temp.....

A friend of mine has a 2005 Silverado Z71. He just had a low mile LQ4 6.0 swapped in it. It has a squeak we can't seem to find. Thought it was the belt so he bought a new one.... Thought it was the A/C tensioner, still squeaks. Removed the A/C belt and it still does it. After that we took off both belts and it sill has a squeak.. I have no idea whats going on with it. The squeak appears after the engine is up to operating temp. Could it possibly be something with the oil pump?

The engine had sat for a while but he had new head gm gaskets installed. Inside the cylinders were clean as could be, 32,000 miles on the engine. They took all the accessories off the 5.3 and put on the 6.0.

Any help will be appreciated, he is about to torch it...lol.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure on that truck but how is the cooling fan driven. A lot of times on the electric ones the bearings go out in them and they get one bad squeak going on...
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
I'm not sure on that truck but how is the cooling fan driven. A lot of times on the electric ones the bearings go out in them and they get one bad squeak going on...

2005's are the first year for the electric cooling fans in the 1500's.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Have the same issue going on with my ride right now. I replaced my serpentine belt thinking that was the issue but nope still issues. Then i thought I installed the belt wrong but everything was fine. I then got fed up because it sounded like a chirping sound coming from the engine when I applied gas. Super annoying when driving up the strret. After a long weekend of troubleshooting this is what I did. I removed the belt. I played with every pulley on the serpentine line, spun each one right and left. Turns out the pulley on the alternator I purchased about a year ago was making a real weird sound. My alternator is covered under warranty so I am replacing it for free. The power steering pump I have also has a chriping sound coming from it as well. I am in the process of replacing both pump and alternator but it was pretty much a process of elimination. When my mechanic put my new motor in a few years back he didn't install the bolt that holds the pulley in correctly and it went in on slight angle causing it the pulley to move slightly. It was a pain and also caused a loud whining sound when turning the wheel as well as the pump most likely on its way out. I had to actually drill thru the pulley itself to get to the bolts on the power steering pump because the tool I rented at Autozone to remove the pulley wouldn't work. It was annoying tried everything but all in all a learning lesson. Good luck but just try each one until you find where the sound is coming from. Good luck.

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 04-25-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Yea we have checked the electric fans, does it while they are off. I don't think its a pulley or nothing because it does it at idle with no belts on so the only thing turning is the crank.... It has me puzzled.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie W
Yea we have checked the electric fans, does it while they are off. I don't think its a pulley or nothing because it does it at idle with no belts on so the only thing turning is the crank.... It has me puzzled.
Agreed. Your issue is obviously not a pulley or belt if the noise is present with all belts removed and the engine running. Some sort of internal issue may be happing with the engine.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Agreed. Your issue is obviously not a pulley or belt if the noise is present with all belts removed and the engine running. Some sort of internal issue may be happing with the engine.
Yea it really has me throwed off. I wouldn't think it would be a bearing or something because it would be knocking or something. I also doubt it could be anything to do with the reluctor wheel either, just trying to narrow things down. I'm thinking maybe something with the oil pump, but it holds very good pressure. I dunno tho, could a valve possibly be making a squeaking sound? I gotta take a stethoscope and listen to it this weekend.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the frequency of the squeak increase and decrease uniformly with engine rpm's.......

Does it ever disappear?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
Does the frequency of the squeak increase and decrease uniformly with engine rpm's.......

Does it ever disappear?

It starts to squeak/squeal after the truck warms up. Someone told him it could be something to do with the torque convertor.

*Edit*

Just talked to him and he said that the sound does not change with RPM, said it stays the same

Last edited by Ernie W; 04-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Belt squeak sound after reaching operating temp.....