General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

twelvevolt cigarette lighter, only works if gps plug is positioned perfectly

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default twelvevolt cigarette lighter, only works if gps plug is positioned perfectly

basically what the title says.....if i plug either the gps plug or radar detector plug into my cigarette lighter socket, it wont work unless i twist it around and find the "sweet spot".....i like to be able to run both gps and dtector, so how can i fix this issue? whenever i shift, the shifter always bumps the wire and then my electronics lose there power
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try cleaning the center contact inside the lighter socket with a pencil eraser. Then blow the dirt and eraser crumbs out with compressed air or a can of computer duster. If the eraser alone isn't enough to get it clean, you may need to super glue a small piece of fine grit emery cloth or sandpaper to the end of the eraser and use that to clean/shine up the contact.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The socket is built from 2 metal cups. One you see on the outside and one you cannot see behind the plastic panel. They screw together, clamping down on the panel itself. Once they get loose, twisting the plug can temporarily restore contact, but usually just winds up making the socket looser. If you can remove the plate/cubby next to the socket, you may be able to hold the rear cup steady in order to screw in the front one. I, however, did this when I pulled out my center console, which is also when I figured out how the socket was assembled.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

rather than attempting to clean, maybe i should just swap it out? that is a question....kinda
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The lighter socket is only designed for... a lighter. The lighter socket on these cars is not as accessory friendly as other cars.

What happens when you plug it in to the power port on the dash?

I had the same issue, tossed my lighter/socket, and changed that spot over to another proper power port.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Floorman279
rather than attempting to clean, maybe i should just swap it out? that is a question....kinda
If you don't ever use it as a lighter then swapping it out for a true power port socket as wssix99 mentioned would be a good option. Personally I'd try cleaning the contact and making sure the socket is tight first and see if that solves your connection problem. If it doesn't then you're only out a few minutes of time. If it does then you've saved yourself the cost of a new socket.

Another option would be a "Y" or splitter with a plug connected to a pair of power port sockets which allows you to plug both devices into the single power port.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

yea i was considering a splitter as well.......
Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Even a splitter won't be great. The lighter socket is still not designed for power accessories. The power port has a smooth wall and the lighter socket has a bunch of cut-outs in the sides.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell/give away your car NOW. It's fucked!

Hard wire your ****. I mean come on.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Even a splitter won't be great. The lighter socket is still not designed for power accessories. The power port has a smooth wall and the lighter socket has a bunch of cut-outs in the sides.
The idea (at least in my mind) was to use the splitter so he could plug both devices into the power port and not need to use the lighter socket at all.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Tony Hanna
The idea (at least in my mind) was to use the splitter so he could plug both devices into the power port and not need to use the lighter socket at all.
Ahhhh, yes.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Sell/give away your car NOW. It's fucked!

Hard wire your ****. I mean come on.
wtf do you mean by that? why would i hard wire a gps to my car? or my radar detector? did the thought cross your mind that maybe, just maybe, i have more than one vehicle that i drive on a regular basis.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
The lighter socket is only designed for... a lighter. The lighter socket on these cars is not as accessory friendly as other cars.

What happens when you plug it in to the power port on the dash?

I had the same issue, tossed my lighter/socket, and changed that spot over to another proper power port.
Would like more info on how you did this?

Also, are there any other "lighter" sockets that are deeper from another car that would fit?

I have these same issues and gets annoying lol...
Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Floorman279
wtf do you mean by that? why would i hard wire a gps to my car? or my radar detector? did the thought cross your mind that maybe, just maybe, i have more than one vehicle that i drive on a regular basis.
I'd actually considered something similar. Buy spare cords for the gps and radar detector and hardwire/route them for a clean looking install. Then when switching cars you just move the devices without having to mess with cords. This would work well if you're switching between a couple different vehicles. Might be a little impractical if you own a fleet though.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

the radar detector i couldnt hardwire, becuase it has a "spiraling" cord and its not long......gps however i coulddo........how do i hardwire something to the 12 volt system......is it the same as that v1 hardwire sticky thread?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by IROCSS
Would like more info on how you did this?

Also, are there any other "lighter" sockets that are deeper from another car that would fit?

I have these same issues and gets annoying lol...
"Deeper" sockets don't exist. There are just two types: Power and Lighter.

The F-bodies have one of each. To convert the lighter to a power port, you'll need three parts:

- Power receptacle 12450044 (or equivalent)
- Receptacle retainer 12450047
- Power receptacle connector body 12176446

Some notes:
- The Power receptacle part number has been discontinued and substituted, so you probably won't find the exact part number above. Any GM dealer can pull it up and get the substitute part number - I just don't have it. (I saw the new part - its almost identical to the old one. I just didn't write the number down.)
- The receptacle retainer includes the cap that covers the port when not in use.
- The parts above are in black trim. I searched high and low and could not get a hold of the grey trim. I have a grey console but went with the black because the old lighter had a black ring around it from the factory, so I figured it was OK not to match. Now that the port is in, I can't even tell its out of place or doesn't match the grey one to the side.
- The connector body can be sourced from Mouser Electronics or another supplier of Delphi terminal parts.

To do the install:
1) Unplug the old lighter socket.
2) Remove the old lighter. (This is the hardest part.) GM calls for a special tool to do this, but you can probably pull it off with some hand-made tools and a friend. You have to press the two black plastic tabs on the inside of the socket and then pull the metal inner sleeve out towards the inside of the car. (The sleeve, when pressed in wedges the assembly in to the dash.) Once the sleeve sides out, the whole socket can be removed.
3) Remove the blue terminal lock off the lighter's electrical connector and then use a paper clip to remove the terminals from the connector body. The terminals can then be slid in to the new connector body and the terminal lock put back on. (The connector bodies are different, but use the same terminal lock.)
4) Place the retainer on the new power port and, using a small file, carve a notch in the dash to line up with the "key" on the socket and retainer that will hold the plug straight in the plastic. (Take your time with this and remove a little material at a time. A tight fit is desirable.)
5) Install the new power port and plug it in!

Last edited by wssix99; 01-29-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Thank u sir, will be looking into this!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by IROCSS
Thank u sir, will be looking into this!
Maybe you can post some pics if you do it? I was so burnt out after looking for the part numbers (the connector was the hardest part) that I just popped the stuff in when I got a hold of everything. It would also be nice to have the current part number for the port.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

The new receptacle part # is 25774623 and they're $11 at the dealer. I just bought and replaced one a couple of weeks ago.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Just ordered from dealer yesterday and picked up this morning.

Part Number 25774623 - Receptacle $4.46
Part Number 12450047 - Retainer with cap - $5.51

Quick Reply: twelvevolt cigarette lighter, only works if gps plug is positioned perfectly