General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radio controls and switches: (some) lights going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio controls and switches: (some) lights going out?

Okay this is a lot of writing for a little issue, but here goes:

A few months ago, I noticed that one of the lights illuminating part of my radio controls (behind the "6" preset button, I think) was out. Annoying, sure, but not life-threatening. Soon after, more of my backlighting went away as another went out.

I was planning on doing the auxiliary input mod (splicing into the CD player in the head unit) and so I figured I'd see if I couldn't replace the lights at the same time. Well, it seems the lights -- if they're serviceable -- are behind a bit of a computer board which requires teensy little specialty tools to remove. So I put it off until I could get the tools.

Anyway, I finished up the aux jack mod (which works perfectly), but after reinstalling everything, I noticed that the only light that worked was the one that illuminates the space just to the left of the volume ****. What's more, the backlighting and orange indicator lights on my fog and ASR switches also went out!

Out of curiosity, I took out the ASR switch and disassembled it to see if the light was replaceable (it's not) and ended up mangling the switch. I bought a couple used ones, both fog and ASR, from a member on the board which were previously working fine. With the new switches, the white backlight on the fog switch works, but still nothing else. So I'm not quite sure if it's the switches or something going on before the whole lighting assembly.

I pulled a few fuses, and they all looked fine. And anyway, some of the lights work, so I figure that if it were a fuse issue they'd all be out.

If anyone has replaced any of those lights or had a similar issue, I'd certainly appreciate any tips.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Common problem. The bulbs burned out. Here's a classic thread on the fix:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...hen-i-did.html

If you don't want to do LED's, you can also do incandescents. See my post #20 in the thread.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Common problem. The bulbs burned out. Here's a classic thread on the fix:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...hen-i-did.html

If you don't want to do LED's, you can also do incandescents. See my post #20 in the thread.
Thanks. I think I've seen that before. I'll give it a read.

I'm just curious as to why it all happened within such a short period of time? And the involvement of the lighting of the Fog and ASR switch lights...? I still haven't swapped any fuses...but I'll update when I do.