Smog test NO levels rise suddenly? - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Smog test NO levels rise suddenly?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 4
Default Smog test NO levels rise suddenly?

Hi all,
I was took my car to get smogged and the tech didnt like my headers and failed me for them. I passed everything else just not for the headers. I came back with the paper work for the headers about a week later to show they were legal and so he agreed to smog it again. Well anyways this time it failed the emissions part. Previously, ~1.5 weeks ago, the NO levels were something like 250 with the max allowable being around 490 or something. Well this time they shot up to 760. What could have changed in a week to cause this big of an increase? I've noticed no difference when driving the car, the only thing I changed was the spacing of the ICM and the coil wire. Could the EGR valve be stuck closed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
goldylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14

do you still have the cats on there?
98 Z28...799 Heads, LS6 Intake, 5308 Cam, Linginfelter Oil Pump, LS7 Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain, SLP Lid and Red FRC's. this is my Z06. RevMax 2800 Stall, Hyperflex Suspension Bushings and Motor Mounts, Drilled and Slotted Rotors.

2008 Corvette CRM 3LT.
LS1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
On The Tree

yeah it got the single cat system (stock for 94-95) nothing has changed since 1.5 weeks ago
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
TECH Apprentice

Trader Rating: 0

Use some octane boost and drive kind of hard to the inspection station so the cat gets good and hot. Could be that the cat was a little cool.
blade2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

Come to America, leave Calif. we don't have those problems and besides everything costs too much there.
98 Z28...799 Heads, LS6 Intake, 5308 Cam, Linginfelter Oil Pump, LS7 Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain, SLP Lid and Red FRC's. this is my Z06. RevMax 2800 Stall, Hyperflex Suspension Bushings and Motor Mounts, Drilled and Slotted Rotors.

2008 Corvette CRM 3LT.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 1

Tennessee doesn't have emission testing (unless you go to Shelby County). Nevada sounds like a nice place, too. All the rich people are leaving Cali for it.

US Army Veteran
Having a 10 second Honda is like coming out of the closet. You may surprise a few people, but you're still gay.
DisasterFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1121 View Post
Come to America, leave Calif. we don't have those problems and besides everything costs too much there.
LOL if only that were possible I'm going to college in cali though so I dont have many options right now. And do you guys think it could be related to the cat? I thought it only took care of hydrocarbons? Apparently NO is only produced when the combustion chambers are above 2500 F?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Well it depends on what you have done to the car. Considering an 1994 is an OBD I type vehicle. I don't know what type of Emissions devices you have on your car. When is the last time you changed your plugs? A good burn is always important.

2008 Corvette CRM 3LT.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldylocks View Post
LOL if only that were possible I'm going to college in cali though so I dont have many options right now. And do you guys think it could be related to the cat? I thought it only took care of hydrocarbons? Apparently NO is only produced when the combustion chambers are above 2500 F?
There are better colleges.

US Army Veteran
Having a 10 second Honda is like coming out of the closet. You may surprise a few people, but you're still gay.
DisasterFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
wrencher

Trader Rating: 2

Not exactly sure what kind of test they use for a pre-OBD-II car out there in Kali.
It's likely a ASM/IM240. Did they run your car on the dyno?

Well if you went up there after failure & they agreed to test it was it hot during the second test? Was there a difference in the manner the 2 tests where run is what I'm asking?

NOx/NO =nitrogen oxides .
They can be difficult to reduce & or chase down a root cause in some cases.
They can be affected by many factors, ambient temp, engine temp, fuel etc.
They can also vary quite a bit in measurements as you now see.

If the motor is running well & in fuel control, the EGR system operating correctly I'd look @ the the catalyst.
wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
TECH Regular

High nox is from high combustion temps. The egr system, on cars so equipped, combats this by diluting/cooling the intake charge with gasses from the egr valve. It is a measured amount introduced at the appropriate time. If your egr system checks out, your catalytic(s) is the culprit.
pewter2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, check, ls1tech, smog