General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Three-year rattle mystery: Solved!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Three-year rattle mystery: Solved!

For years now, there's been a rattle coming from under my center council. It ONLY happens when the car is in gear but stopped. It could only be heard in the car, not from under it or under the hood.

At first it wasn't too bad so I didn't pay much attention,then last year it started to sound violent. I crawled around under there and everything looked good, so I changed my transmission mount over winter thinking that might be causing the problem, after doing some tech searching and asking around on here. I was worried it was something that was going to cause more problems down the line. When I got the car out for the year it helped slightly, but the rattle was still there.

I realize exhaust would be the first place to check, but for one the rattle was there with stock exhaust and didn't change when I installed my LTs. Also I didn't think it would have been getting progressively worse if it was exhaust, it would be more consistent.
I now have Pacesetter LTs and ORY and there's at LEAST 3/8 an inch seperation from everything else on the car.

I finally got fed up and put a piece of rubber hose around a clamp to see if it was banging somewhere and moved it to a few different locations to pinpoint it. finally, I cut a piece of hose and flattened it out and wedged it between the exhaust crossmember piece behind the transmisison and presto! no more noise!

I realize it should have been one of the first things I checked, and will pry be flamed for not doing it sooner, but had to share my good news! It was annoying the hell outta me.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Congrat's! I also had a similar rattle with my exhaust hitting the panhard bar. Now, I have a knock in my front suspension somewhere that is really annoying me. Looks like i'll be pulling it all apart soon...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

thats what its all about,not giving up!!! good job, rattles and shakes can be a bummer . after my wreck last year, with smashing the right front and the entire core suport and fixing everything my self at my buddies body shop i thought i was finished, then the post wreck rattles set in. 99.9% fixed. so i know how it feels to chase and fix those gremlins.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem for years and figured it out when i sold the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Three-year rattle mystery: Solved!