General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulled my engine out the top today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled my engine out the top today...

A friend and I pulled my engine out the top today, and I must say, I believe it was way more simple, and cost-effective, than dropping it with the k member. Saturday morning we entered the garage with the intention of dropping it out the bottom, but after viewing the underside of the car, and already having the heads and accessories off, we decided it appeared easier to yank it from the top.
I'd say we were definitely correct in our decision. We didn't have to mess with the wiring harness, we didn't have to disconnect brake lines, and best of all I won't need an alignment having left the k member in place.
To be honest, I can't imagine why anyone would drop it out the bottom, seeing as it takes no time at all to disassemble the top end. Even if you've already deleted the ABS, I still foresee it as more of a hassle.
I'd say approximately 75% or so drop the k member from what I've seen on here....but why??
Attached Thumbnails Pulled my engine out the top today...-engine.jpg   Pulled my engine out the top today...-bay.jpg  
Old 05-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dropped mine out the bottom with the k-member and trans... had the motor and trans split and the k-member off the motor and back in the car in 3hrs...

i have a Lift...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to realign the front end like I've read? And what about bleeding the brakes? I also have a lift, but still decided the top would be easier.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't put the car back together yet lol motor and trans are still out...

So as of now no
Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Im currently in the latter stages of my engine swap which I did out the bottom. I did it on my back in my driveway with a cherry picker. Wasn't bad at all. Yes I'm gunna need to bleed the brakes and get an alignment to answer your question.