General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is my starter done??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my starter done??

About a week ago, my car wouldn't start. When I turned the key and nothing happened.. no sound... anything. The lights worked, the power windows worked. Just to make sure that it wasn't the battery, I walked it over to an Autozone nearby... and the battery checked out. I automatically thought that it was the starter.

The AAA driver told me that the starter was going bad. He wiggled the starter and got the car to start. He told me that the cables inside weren't making contact anymore. He also told me that I wouldn't be able to start the car once I turned it off.

Today
I took the starter to two different Autozone store and both stores told me that they starter worked just fine. If you see the pictures, there is quite a bit of oil that has leaked on it.

What do you guys think? Does it sound like the starter is gone?

Thanks,

Joel

Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the connections since he was able to jiggle it and get it to work. It could be gone though. If you end up replacing it throw a truck starter on instead. Same starter except equal sized mounting blocks and they are much cheaper.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the truck starter has superseded our factory one. At least when I replaced mine that's what they gave me. And don't listen to the parts store idiots. Just because a starter works on their bench doesn't mean it works in car. A bad starter can spin when no load is applied, seen it in person.. That bench is a good way to get out of warranty claims and nothing more.

Like the other guy said, make sure each bolt mounting boss is equal length. Our factory one has a short boss and long one, the short one is bad about breaking and taking a chunk of engine block with it!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

Which truck starter in particular do you recommend? Or rather, what truck should I look under?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Anybody?