General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Best way to clean intake runners and valves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean intake runners and valves?

So I found some oil in my intake manifold. I cleaned all that out but the intake runners where nasty and so where the valves. I was thinking maybe using seafoam but I heard that won't get all the cylinders so I was also thinking I could take the manifold back off and use brake clean to clean it up then change the oil shortly after. But if anyone has any other suggestions on the best way to clean it I'm all ears. Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Brake cleaner works great for dissolving that caked on stuff, better than carb cleaner, I should've done that when I had my intake off. It also evaporates fast, oil change might not be necessary. In my opinion those cleaners that you spray in with the engine running don't do squat except generate smoke, I've used both seafoam and MCCC.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok that's what I was thinking I would rather see all that stuff dissolve lol
Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was thinking maybe using seafoam but I heard that won't get all the cylinders
That's because they say to do it through the vacuum port at the back of the manifold and the solution has to fight against the flow of air to get to the front cylinders. If you pour it through the throttle body then it will get to all the cylinders.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're taking the intake off....go buy a bendable toilet cleaning brush. Then fill the intake or submerge it in 100% degreaser.......then rip the brush through all the runners. That will clean them very well. They'll be smooth as a babies *** inside......

I taped off the TB inlet and filled my intake with degreaser.....leaned it against the wall overnight.....then ran my brush through it. Then degreaser again, then rinse with awater hose. Then let it dry.

Then...get your PCV system in order.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cleaned the intake manifold already took awhile but it's very clean. I was talking bout the heads. And I fixed the pcv system lol
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ta383
I cleaned the intake manifold already took awhile but it's very clean. I was talking bout the heads. And I fixed the pcv system lol
I'd fill each runner and cylinder with SeaFoam and let it soak for a few hours. You'll have to fill whichever ones have open valves so the cylinders also fill up. Then pull those spark plugs and turn the engine over for 10-15 seconds so it can all drain out. Let them air dry after that. Then do it to the other cylinders. Then pull those plugs and drain it and let it dry out. Be careful not to hydrolock any by accident.

When I had my intake off to clean it and change my OPSU.......thats what I did. No better way to clean a top end than that without removing the heads.

Install new spark plugs while your at it.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Install new spark plugs while your at it.

When I swapped my plugs, I kept my old, fouled up, junk plugs in case I ever needed to do something like that.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean intake runners and valves?