General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reinstalling AC in my camaro...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reinstalling AC in my camaro...HELP

I guys, I am reinstalling my AC system in my camaro after it being off for 5 years. I bought a low mileaged system off a guy on here last summer and am just getting around to installing it. Anyways, for the compressor, I heard I have to put new oil in it before I run it. MY buddy told me to just go get some PAGS compressor oil, but I dont know how much I need in it. Anyone know? Also is there any other issues I may run into with reinstalling a AC system in the car? I bought all new gaskets for all the connections so I have a small chance of it leaking. Thanks for the help and I appreciate it!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for just a compressor it's around 2-3 ounces of oil.
Ideally you would want to check the make/model of compressor and see what viscosity of PAG oil is recommended. It's usually PAG-100. But some use a little higher/lower viscosity, and I would say if you were in a really hot climate to use PAG-150 but for Illinois if that's where you are then go with PAG-100 if that's what is recommended.
If you had the AC system open for the last 5 years, you definitely need to replace the accumulator. Aside from that it depends on what degree of doing the job right and $$ you want to go through- flushing the system, purging, pulling a vacuum, adding all new PAG oil and r134a. I would look into getting that variable orifice tube too.
I don't know the total amount of oil for the ac system, you'll want to check in your owners manual or for a sticker under the hood.
My recommendation would be to do the labor yourself. Get the system all installed in the car, but don't turn it on. Pull the AC relay so there is no way it can get power, then find a good AC shop who will flush, purge, evacuate and make sure the system holds a deep vacuum then charge with oil and r134a with a machine.
http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/VOV1.htm
http://www.aircondition.com/vov/
Old 05-23-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the response. The AC system that I just installed was not on my car originally. IT was off a different car, and I had the AC setup in my basement since last year and just got time to install it. Its all already hooked up, just forgot to put some gaskets on the lines, and the AC belt. The car is actually at a buddies shop right now, and he is going to finish it up for me.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

what ever you do you need to vacumme the system down with a vacuum pump BEFORE any freon is added. This removes moister in the system...

replace the plastic expansion valve that is located between the condensor and evaporator... cheap insurance...
Old 05-25-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
what ever you do you need to vacumme the system down with a vacuum pump BEFORE any freon is added. This removes moister in the system...

replace the plastic expansion valve that is located between the condensor and evaporator... cheap insurance...
R134a isn't Freon. Don't spread misinformation.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
R134a isn't Freon. Don't spread misinformation.
Now you're just going to confuse the OP... they're both used to refer to the refrigerant. The actual "Freon" was R12 which was phased out, now R134a is used but it's still always referred to freon in probably 98% of all shops. Whether it's chemically/scientifically correct, does it really matter?

Last edited by HVYMTL; 05-26-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: sp error
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha, if the OP gets confused trying to understand R134a != freon then he shouldn't be ******* with his AC.

kinda like saying i have to go get gas when you drive a diesel vehicle... except you can still buy diesel easily.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

HAHA Yea i definitely know the difference. I ended up taking the car to my buddies to have him vacuum the system out and everything and he just filled the car with new R134. Anyways, now there is another slight problem. I notice that when the car is cold that I get this crazy squeaking, squealing. However once the car is warmed up and driving for about 10-15 min, I do not hear it anymore. I figured out the sound seems to me coming from my AC belt area. I have read alot about that it could just be the belt, and I may need to get a gatorback belt, other things I read said it could be the clutch in the compressor. However with the sound going away, I feel like it may just be an issue with the belt. Any advice guys?
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JacobK
HAHA Yea i definitely know the difference. I ended up taking the car to my buddies to have him vacuum the system out and everything and he just filled the car with new R134. Anyways, now there is another slight problem. I notice that when the car is cold that I get this crazy squeaking, squealing. However once the car is warmed up and driving for about 10-15 min, I do not hear it anymore. I figured out the sound seems to me coming from my AC belt area. I have read alot about that it could just be the belt, and I may need to get a gatorback belt, other things I read said it could be the clutch in the compressor. However with the sound going away, I feel like it may just be an issue with the belt. Any advice guys?
Thanks!
Try some belt dressing to see if the squeak goes away, also does the sound go away when you turn off the compressor or disengage it? Could be the sign of a bad compressor clutch since you did pick up a used one?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

It doesnt go away when i turn the air on..it only squeaks for a little bit then goes away.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JacobK
It doesnt go away when i turn the air on..it only squeaks for a little bit then goes away.
Not that, if it was the clutch being bad, it should go away when you turn off the a/c. Like you start the car w/ the a/c on, it's squeaking, you turn it off, it goes away. If it squeaks regardless of a/c being on or off, try some belt dressing. Then try spinning all your pulleys by hand and listening/feeling for any bad juju before you try a new belt. Gatorback is good. I don't remember if the 99s had the bracket problem or not.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HVYMTL
Now you're just going to confuse the OP... they're both used to refer to the refrigerant. The actual "Freon" was R12 which was phased out, now R134a is used but it's still always referred to freon in probably 98% of all shops. Whether it's chemically/scientifically correct, does it really matter?
People that dont have specific training in AC&R usually refer to all refrigerants as "Freon" since it is just a widely recognized term. No big deal. I just used it in another thread since everyone else was as to not cause confusion. It is better than trying to use terms like "tetrafluoroethane" for R-134A, and "hexafluoropropane" for R-236FA, and "chlorodifluoromethane" for R-22. You get the idea.

Quick Reply: Reinstalling AC in my camaro...HELP