General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 Fbody starts then dies with ac on

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Fbody starts then dies with ac on

Whats up guys, im a newb to the fbody game. I've been in the LS powered truck scene for a while and recently traded for a 2000 LS1 SS Camaro.

The guy I traded from has some paperwork showing work that was done to the car. Full bolt ons, Lingenfelter stage 2 cnc ported heads and a mild custom grind comp cam. Said it put down 400 to the wheels which I personally dont know one way or the other if it does or not. its quick enough for now...

The problem is that if I turn the car on and the ac is on it will crank over then immediately bog down and die. with ac off it starts right up.

The car idles like crap imo. It constantly bogs down at idle and sometimes almost dies... ac on or not. It smells extremely rich as well. I dont have a wideband for it yet but im sure the afr is up there.

Im wondering if a tune is what could be causing these problems? The nasty idle and rich smell... and the start then die with the ac on.

any input appreciated..

-Matt
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am by no means a tuner expert but I thought I've seen threads where guys mention a tuning table for idle with the A/C turned on? Like in a stock car, when you turn the A/C on, you'll notice the idle jumps up to compensate.

What I'm getting at is I'm sure the problem lies within your tune since the car isn't stock....
Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Thats reassuring and what I was assuming for the most part. Time for a tune.

Thanks for the response
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its just the idle needs to be higher for ac on. There is a ac off, ac on, in neutral, in drive. If you have a handheld tuner you can tune that. Where do you live i got one?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Launching!

are you able to get a scan tool on it and check for DTC?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Teching In

JUSTINSWS6- I live in Las Vegas, NV. I have zero experience with tuning and from what I understand not many people out here are any good.

GMtechmatt- Yeah, I checked and theres no DTC's at all.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Also look into little things like your Idle Air Control valve, O2 sensors and TPS. I had shitty idle quality on mine and I changed out those items and it smoothed right out.

Quick Reply: LS1 Fbody starts then dies with ac on