General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering return hose????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Power steering return hose????

So from what I've read, there are no places to buy a new return line for my '98 Z28. I searched a little bit and from a few threads I've read of people doing different things. Do you guys have any sure fire ways of replacing the return line other than buying used? Please post up specifics on how you did it. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its nice to see you are local. Here is a thread you should check out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...oler-hose.html
Does your car have the factory cooler? I ordered hose number 14 from the diagram from https://www.1stpontiacparts.com/partscat.html, and have ordered from them many times. They are out of Wasington and have lower shipping than gmpartsdirect.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

buy some PS hose......grind off the crimp at the hard line.......replace and use hose clamps.....have a beer
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
buy some PS hose......grind off the crimp at the hard line.......replace and use hose clamps.....have a beer

Exactly......I dremeled an old crimp off, exposed the inner metal hose and clamped the factory hose back on it with two clamps. Its an A/C line. Its been there for like 3 years......PICS BELOW.
People said it wouldn't hold for a week. WRONG.....

There's a shop in town here that will take any of our GM hard lines, dremel the old crimp off and re-crimp with new crimp clamps and the appropriate type hose (a/c lines high or low pressure, coolant lines, power steering lines, etc,...) and they will be good as factory new.

Since my engine is out, I'm bringing my factory metal/rubber heater core to water pump hoses to them....$25.00, they give them back with new rubber and crimpes....good as factory new.

Also doing it to the a/c line in the pics below, that line attaches to the back of the compressor and the bottom of the condensor.

You must have a shop like that around you too.....

Attached Thumbnails Power steering return hose????-dsc01817.jpg   Power steering return hose????-dsc01819.jpg   Power steering return hose????-dsc01844.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 06-05-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the responses guys, I got a great used set of hoses from a tech member yesterday. If anything goes wrong I know exactly what to do now. Also, if anyone has the same question they can search and get the answer in this thread.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... sorry if that's the wrong thing to do...

Instead of using a dremel to remove the crimp, why couldn't I just cut the rubber hose about 1" to 2" from the crimp and use a brass barb and band clamps to run a new line to an aftermarket cooler? Would I be asking for leaks by doing this?

Last edited by JT2000WS6; 05-08-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i can remember the return (low pressure) hose first starts at the steering gear and then goes to the cooler if you have one, then back to the reservoir.
where that hard return line at the gear turns into a rubber line, if that crimp is not leaking then no i don't think you will have any problems doing what you want to do.
if & when that crimp does start leaking then your fall back is dremeling the hard line prior to the crimp and then attaching a rubber hose with clamp onto that.
i'm surprised rockauto does not have that return line.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not 100% sure but I'm starting to see this part number pop up on the popular GM parts online sites again without the note about it being discontinued. Definitely visit your local Chevy parts counter or call before ordering to be sure.
26068527 I think is the line from the rack to the stock cooler on the LS1. There is a different part for cars without the stock cooler which does seem to be discontinued still.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

I'm replacing the stock cooler and need a longer section of hose. I'm just going to add a bit of length with a barbed brass fitting and band clamps. It shouldn't leak but I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2000WS6
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... sorry if that's the wrong thing to do...

Instead of using a dremel to remove the crimp, why couldn't I just cut the rubber hose about 1" to 2" from the crimp and use a brass barb and band clamps to run a new line to an aftermarket cooler? Would I be asking for leaks by doing this?
Most of the time the hose leaks where the rubber hose meets the metal crimp. If it's not there's really nothing wrong with using a barb.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fab

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
So from what I've read, there are no places to buy a new return line for my '98 Z28. I searched a little bit and from a few threads I've read of people doing different things. Do you guys have any sure fire ways of replacing the return line other than buying used? Please post up specifics on how you did it. Thanks for any help in advance.
I know this is an old thread, but definitely not paying $120 for oem return hose. Mine just started leaking out of both ends of metal crimp after 260k miles. i just cut crimp and old hose off, bought bout 1' p/s hose and double worm clamped....done. under $8 at Advance.

Quick Reply: Power steering return hose????