General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Compressor locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Compressor locked up!

This morning after I arrived at work I walked out to my car to drive to the px. I attempted to start my car, it acted like it had a low battery. It built momentum as it turned over then started. The belt was squealing like crazy so I shut it off. When I did that it snapped the belt. The ac compressor had locked up. My car is a 1994 trans am a4, what other vehicles use the same compressor that I can swap in. There are quite a few v6 f bodies at the local pick n pull yard not sure if these are the same though. Thanks for the help, Luckey.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Launching!

I would try to get some part numbers off of your compressor first. Then go to the junkyard and compare. If the v-6's have the same compressors then by all means grab one or two or three. Make sure you look at it closely and that all the hoses go in the same locations and stuff like that. Also, do a good vacuum job after replacement to get all the air and moisture out.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look up your car on Rockauto each part shows what it is cross referenced with. Gets you a good start.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned

Its not OEM but I have seen nice a/c kits on ebay priced well that comes with the o rings and pag oil. I have never had any experience with the brands but when I get back from hellghanistan Ill be putting one of the ebay kits on my car.