General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C issues

Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C issues

My ac system had a leak in the evap core. Decent sized- air would stop getting cold after a couple of days. I just got done putting a new evap core, heater core, and drier in. Vacuumed it down for about an hour and it held afterwards so I started to charge it. Low side shot right up to about 60 psi but the compressor hadn't kicked on yet. I continued to add to it waiting for the compressor to kick on but it never did. It should have enough in to kick the compressor on but it isn't and the gauge shows around 100 psi on the low side. High side shows around 60 psi. Everything worked fine before and I made sure the low pressure switch was connected. Almost like there is a block in the line? A few weeks ago a mechanic added some "red angel" stop leak. Could that have caused a blockage? Any other ideas? It's freakin hot here in Florida!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

I jumped the relay today and the compressor kicked on but the pressure on the high side still wasn't increasing. Was reading 80 on the low side and maybe 40 on the high side. Everything was working properly until I replaced the evap. Everything is plugged in and rechecked every fuse in the car and still nothing. Should I pull it back apart and blow it out with compressed air and see if I can find a block somewhere?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you put a new evaporator and accumulator on. did you pull the orifice tube and check that? And with the new parts did you add oil to the system?

not sure what you mean about started to charge it and low side shot right up to 60 psi.
how were you charging the system?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

The expansion valve is a few weeks old. I added about 2 oz 150 pag oil to the evap and 1 oz to the accumulator. I was charging with a gauge set on the low side. Vacuumed it down then disconnected the vacuum pump and got a can of r134. Opened up the valve to start charging and the pressure on the low side keeps increasing up to about 100 psi but the compressor wouldn't kick on. I removed the relay and jumped it to turn the compressor on but the pressure on the low side never dropped and the pressure on the high side never increased.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off charging it with the cans you never know exactly what amount of charge your putting in the system. Secondly, Ive always charged the high side with the vehicle off and the low side with the vehicle running. Dont know if you had the car running or not. I would have someone with a robinair or similar machine do the charging on the system and then go from there as it could be overcharged.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

I was charging on the low side with it running. I hooked it up to my scanner and found that the ac clutch had been disabled. Disconnected the battery for a little while. Hooked it back up and it took a charge just fine. I put in 2 cans (24 oz ) and some I've dye. It vacuumed down and held fine but I want to make sure it holds. After I drive it a few days I'll check the pressure and check it with the blacklight then take it and have it charged.

Search this Thread