General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New ac compressor not cold

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ac compressor not cold

I replaced my ac compressor the other day, after my clutch was going out in my old one.
after getting the new one on and recharged its not blowing out cold air ( it did feel a little cold for about 2 days) now its just warm air.
the old compressor did blow cold air fine but just squeaked like crazy.

I hooked up a gauge from a refill can on the low side and it shows WAY to much pressure.

the dryer can is not getting cold anymore ( i know normally it would get pretty cold when it worked fine now its normal temp of under the hood)

ac compressor no longer squeaks and clutch will turn on when ac is turned on.
so i dont think its a compressor problem.
just needs some help with this.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Twisted636
I replaced my ac compressor the other day, after my clutch was going out in my old one.
after getting the new one on and recharged its not blowing out cold air ( it did feel a little cold for about 2 days) now its just warm air.
the old compressor did blow cold air fine but just squeaked like crazy.

I hooked up a gauge from a refill can on the low side and it shows WAY to much pressure.

the dryer can is not getting cold anymore ( i know normally it would get pretty cold when it worked fine now its normal temp of under the hood)

ac compressor no longer squeaks and clutch will turn on when ac is turned on.
so i dont think its a compressor problem.
just needs some help with this.
If you have high pressure now and the can doesn't get cold, you either have a blockage before the can or too high of a charge to begin with.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Im thinking they put in to much at least i hope they did. what woud cause a blockage just wondering?

I did also change the little filter that goes in the hose as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you replace the orfice tube and dryer? Most importantly did you vacuum the system prior to recharge? And.......how about oil in the new compressor?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

orfice tube yes, dryer no its the same one ( but worked fine before changing compressor) i didnt vacuum the system before recharge to my knowledge ( i had it done at a local shop) and yes i put the oil that it called for in the compressor before installing.

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
Did you replace the orfice tube and dryer? Most importantly did you vacuum the system prior to recharge? And.......how about oil in the new compressor?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Any good shop should know you got to pull a vacuum anytime the lines are opened .If they diddnt it will never work right.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

im going to take it back to them and have them check it should i have them just pull it out and redo it? i never heard any kind of compressor kick on, and it didn't take them but maybe 15 mins to get it done

Originally Posted by ramair 1
Any good shop should know you got to pull a vacuum anytime the lines are opened .If they diddnt it will never work right.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

to my knowledge ...........a new compressor needs a new dryer.......new orifice.....new oil......flush the lines.......vacuum the system.....new oil.......recharge freon...........did they do all that?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

15 min start to finish? Dang
Old 06-15-2012, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

i called them today and they said they do pull a vacuum before putting the freon in but idk because thats just way to fast to have done all that.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Twisted636
i called them today and they said they do pull a vacuum before putting the freon in but idk because thats just way to fast to have done all that.
Some times it can be that quick. It depends on the quality of their machine as to if it will take a long time to do. When I recharge an A/C, I like to vacuum it down and let it sit for 25-30 minutes to see if it drops at all, I don't like wasting freon if it has a small leak.

You could always start your car with the A/C on and use a small screwdriver to relieve some of the pressure. It's just like a tire valve stem but keep your face away from it. Use the low side port, if it just had a High charge, the compressor will turn on when the pressure is at a safe level and should work normally.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

the compressor has been turning just fine i tryed that but it didnt look like it was getting any lower i even said the hell with it and held it down for a sec or two and never really changed the pressure at all.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There Is a high pressure sensor however it would cause the car to feel like its stalling when you urn the ac on, at least mine did

Most likely your problem is the dryer. When you remove pressure from the dryer and expose it to open are it can rupture the Innerds of the canister.

If you had a shop do the compressor they should evacuate the ac system and install a new dryer at reduced cost
Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

so if the dryer is bad is this something they will be able to tell. They wont be able to get me in until Monday. if it is bad should i just have them remove the Freon and install the dryer my self? One of my friends just told me he has the gauges we would just needs the freon for it and a pump to pull a vacuum.

also just wondering can that be refilled with the small cans you can buy at autozone with the gauges or would i need one of the large cans i see everyone using in videos on youtube?
and should i flush the system after i replace it ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New ac compressor not cold