General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Very odd, 98 v8 TA will intermittently not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very odd, 98 v8 TA will intermittently not turn over

For some reason my car just started not wanting to turn over from time to time. I can eventually get it to start up, usually in 5 minutes. But the battery has been checked, alternator, and the starter as well and they all checked good. I also replaced the starter relay and no luck.

People around me who know more about cars than me seem to think I should replace the starter as the tests at Auto Zone (where we tested at) aren't full proof I guess. I really don't want to shell out around 200 just for a chance of it being the problem. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Starter, Battery cables, Ignition wire loose/high resistance, could even be bad contacts in the ignition lock cylinder. Check for loose cables at the starter. There is a smaller gauge wire that sends a 12v ignition signal to the starter to crank, see if it's worked loose or corroded.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Crank Shaft Position sensor. Drop the starter, its right there. Takes 10 minutes to replace.

If that doesn't fix it...return it.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Crank Shaft Position sensor. Drop the starter, its right there. Takes 10 minutes to replace.

If that doesn't fix it...return it.

Wouldn't I have issues like the car suddenly dying while driving down the road if this was the problem?

Ignition switch may also be the issue, problem is it happens at such random times its hard to pin point where the problem is.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Is your security light staying on? Vats could be your problem.
My chip in the key is wearing out and it sometimes want crank out of the blue.Next time it does it try pulling your key out and put it in a couple times.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Need more info

What does the car do when it doesn't want to start, just crank and crank and crank and doesn't start?

Crank position sensor can cause the car to dies while driving, and also not start again for 5 minutes

The cam position sensor going bad can cause the car not to start some times. The cam position sensor is bad in my 98z28 and it basically forces me to prime the pump before I start the car, and then 1 out of 30 starts I will have to play with starting the car for about 5 minutes before it will actually turn over
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

No when the car doesn't want to start it does nothing, all I hear is a very feint click sound. Which I believe is the starter trying to work but I'm not sure.

I have also tried taking the key out and putting it back in, but I don't think I ever noticed that really helping, like I said it just starts up after a few minutes of trying. And every time it does do it I always make it a habit if taking the key out anyway and putting it back in so I couldn't really say.

Also I get no security light when it does it.

Edit: The car also did this a couple weeks ago, we tightened the battery cable and cleaned up the connections then the car worked for about a week and it just started doing it again. Battery connection was still good.

Last edited by Dyson350; 07-01-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

VATS will crank but no fuel, no spark....Crank/Cam position sensor will do the same, crank but no fire...The process behind the cranking of the vehicle is very rudimentary. No sensors are required for it to crank....Cranks but no starts could be caused by many, many different things including sensors. Again, if the car randomly doesn't crank, I would look at corroded/high resistance wires, broken wires, bad ignition switch, starter on it's way out, etc.