General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine shutting off in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shutting off in hot weather

Hey guys, I've been having problems with my engine shutting off these past few days in the 95+ degree weather. It occurs when coolant temp reaches 200-210 and the SES and service vehicle lights turn on at the same moment the engine dies. After this happens it has to cool for about 10 minutes before it can start. If I try to start the car immediately after it dies it will crank but will not start. Also, the fuel pump relay buzzes after it dies. I checked the fuel filter and it was pretty clogged so I replaced that but the problem persists. I'm now thinking it's possibly the fuel pump, however it still primes right after it dies if I turn the key. I'll be getting a pressure gauge to it tomorrow to see if it is losing fuel pressure before it dies. Anybody ever see anything like this? Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Teching In

did you ever remedy this problem and is it the car in your sig? i am having the same exact problem with my 1994 lt1 camaro.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mustangmadness1
did you ever remedy this problem and is it the car in your sig? i am having the same exact problem with my 1994 lt1 camaro.
Yea its the car in my sig, and I guess the best answer to your question is I'm not totally sure. It hasn't been extremely hot outside since last Friday, and it hasn't shut off on me since then. I took it to my uncle who is a mechanic and the fuel pressure gauge was reading 58 psi, so I don't suspect it's the fuel pump. He told me it's possible that the fuel lines were getting too hot by the drivers side header so I heat wrapped those but I have no clue if that was the root of the problem or not at this point in time.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Could possibly still be the fuel pump even though the fuel pressure is good. I had this same exact problem in my old 98 camaro. It always died once it seemed the coolant temperature went to 210. Turns out it was the fuel pump overheating and shutting off. I got the fuel pump replaced after the 6th time it shut off on me and never had a problem again. Just make sure to get a good fuel pump cause i read that those airtex (or whatever its called) fuel pumps have a bad rep. I personally think they are okay due to the fact that it never died on me again. I just made sure the fuel was never below a quarter and maintained the fuel filter.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mbueno
Could possibly still be the fuel pump even though the fuel pressure is good. I had this same exact problem in my old 98 camaro. It always died once it seemed the coolant temperature went to 210. Turns out it was the fuel pump overheating and shutting off. I got the fuel pump replaced after the 6th time it shut off on me and never had a problem again. Just make sure to get a good fuel pump cause i read that those airtex (or whatever its called) fuel pumps have a bad rep. I personally think they are okay due to the fact that it never died on me again. I just made sure the fuel was never below a quarter and maintained the fuel filter.
Would your fuel pump still prime immediately after it shut off?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Teching In

I noticed something, you said you heat wrapped the fuel lines? Ive noticed my pacesetter longtube is awfully close to fuel line. I am going to wrap it and see how she does because she doesnt go over 210 ever.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mustangmadness1
I noticed something, you said you heat wrapped the fuel lines? Ive noticed my pacesetter longtube is awfully close to fuel line. I am going to wrap it and see how she does because she doesnt go over 210 ever.
Yea I wrapped them all the way down to the heat shield. Let me know if it works for you. It was 105 here yesterday and it didn't give me any problems, I hope that was the fix.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Teching In

It would prime but it made a very weird noise and it wouldn't really work. I would have too wait about the same amount of time you did to start it back up and then i was on borrowed time after that cause it would shut off again. Before the fuel pump would give out, it would make a awful noise that was not normal and after about 15 seconds the engine would shut off. But probably could be the fuel lines overheating, makes me wanna wrap mine up too.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you can try is grounding out the fan relay #2 so the high speed fans kick on whenever the car is on and see if that does anything to stop the car from dying.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mbueno
It would prime but it made a very weird noise and it wouldn't really work. I would have too wait about the same amount of time you did to start it back up and then i was on borrowed time after that cause it would shut off again. Before the fuel pump would give out, it would make a awful noise that was not normal and after about 15 seconds the engine would shut off. But probably could be the fuel lines overheating, makes me wanna wrap mine up too.
Well I guess I know what I need to replace if it ever happens again, thanks for the input.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
One thing you can try is grounding out the fan relay #2 so the high speed fans kick on whenever the car is on and see if that does anything to stop the car from dying.
I don't believe this is an overheating problem, and I've been running the AC so the fan has been on anyways.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, did you ever scan it for codes? If the SES light comes on, obviously there is a problem and getting it scanned will greatly narrow it down.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Yes I got it scanned the first time it happened and there were no codes, which I found odd because my understanding is that if there's a SES light present then it's throwing a code. Should have included that in the original post.

Quick Reply: Engine shutting off in hot weather