General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

01 LS1 Idle bounces at 0 rpm then dies

Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 01 LS1 Idle bounces at 0 rpm then dies

Heres the story: I was at the store, I turned on my car, pulled out, and waited for the LA traffic to clear so I could leave the parking lot. I gave it some gas and pulled out, then put it in second. Suddenly my car started shaking so I pulled over to the side and turned my car off. (I could've sworn I heard a loud pop, but I was listening to my music too loud to know if it was a in fact a 'pop' and/or when it happened). When I tried to turn my car back on, it would barely turn over, bounce off 0 rpm, then die. I already have a starter issue (bad connection issue), so I was thinking that it was maybe just too hot out to start it again so soon. I called AAA and they towed me to my place. I picked up an OBD 2 scanner to see if it threw up a code, but nothing. I tried to start it again, but it would do the same thing - barely turn over, bounce off 0 rpm (for maybe a second), then die. I tried blipping the gas when it was bouncing off 0 rpm as well, the rpm went up, but it sounded really rough and heavy, and when it came back down, it died. Im a girl who dailies a '01 WS6 LS1/T56 swapped '95 240sx, my bf is at just a loss as I am with what to do. If theres anyone who lives here in SoCal who'd be willing to help me, I'd appreciate it and compensate somehow. Otherwise, advice is always more than helpful. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Weird how theres no codes... Hmmm bump
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

In my experience, no codes means you're not getting fuel, air or exhaust flow. Start with the easiest, air intake system. Check the fuel system next, and then go exhaust. Were you able to check current or history codes with that scanner?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
In my experience, no codes means you're not getting fuel, air or exhaust flow. Start with the easiest, air intake system. Check the fuel system next, and then go exhaust. Were you able to check current or history codes with that scanner?
No I couldn't check current or history codes, no codes came up. I unplugged my maf sensor and when I turned on my car, it turned over how it should, then hovered a bit rough right over 0 rpm before I turned it off. So I'd assume airs getting past the sensor.. any recommendations on how to check for that?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

What computer are you using in this car? Do you have the original Nissan OBD connection for pulling codes or do you have a seperate OBII port for the ecu?

Check the voltage to the MAF with the key on to run, engine off. If your voltage is good, then you'd have to check resistance across the MAF.

I'm leaning towards timing/spark or fuel delivery being your problem though. Check your timing first. If it can't crank that long or fast, then I'd be thinking something let loose in your engine and is binding up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 LS1 Idle bounces at 0 rpm then dies