General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what is a clock spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a clock spring?

what is the purpose of the clock spring behind the steering wheel? i see that there is an airbag wire and the steering wheel audio controls coming out of it. i broke this trying to put an aftermarket steering wheel on and is causing me some problems, is it possible for me to just remove this?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

The purpose of it is to keep the wires from twisting off when you turn the steering wheel. I don't see a real need for it if you are getting rid of the airbag and wheel controls. If you leave it out, make sure the wheel isn't loose after you put it back on. If out is your going to need some thing in there to take up the slack.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Im not sure what you mean, will i be able to keep my horn if i take it out? Also when i turn the wheel my left turn signal turns on and i have no power steering this is all in relation to breaking the coil spring.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

No power steering? Sounds like somthing is jammed in the column. As far as horn that signal comes up through the directional switch usually.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

so i figured out when i put my stock steering wheel on i have power steering and no turn signal problems, but when i put the aftermarket wheel on using the nrg short hub it pushes the clock coil back while tightening, this must cause the turn signal and power steering problem. so should i try using the momo hub or just put my stock wheel back on with no air bag or radio controls cause i cut those wires.

Last edited by lsmaxxed; 07-17-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: fixed the problem

Quick Reply: what is a clock spring?