General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ip dimmer blows .

Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ip dimmer blows .

I have been having an issue with my speedo lights . I have replaced fuses which fixes it for a minute or so then blows out fuse. I didn't mess with anything prior to issue. Any advice or help what to look into is greatly appreciTed.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having this problem too. the dimmer fuse blows with in one minute. I tired putting a 10A fuse in (dash lit up for a second), and the brake light fuse blew. Probably not a good idea. Replaced that fuse, and back to where I was. The actual dimmer switch isn't the problem because the lights on the steering wheel adjust when I use the dimmer. The radio lights work now though, even when the lights are on (after trying the 10A fuse and blowing the tail light fuse).

I'm thinking there is a short to ground somewhere. I have no clue where to look though. Help!

Last edited by JadedViking; 07-20-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're gonna have to get in there at take a look at the printed circuit board on the dimmer switch. I had the same problem with mine. Switch looked fine, but when I opened it up, that board was cracked in half.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having similar issues. I've traced it down to a short between GND and Ip dimmer fuse..looking at the schematic, there's a lot of connections to that dimmer fuse...will be fun tracing it , I haven't found the source of my problem.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I want y'all to do is this:
1. Pull off trim ring around gauges.
2. Take out your dimmer switch
3. Take a screwdriver and pop off the little metal clips on the sides of the switch. This will let you open it up and look at the circuit board. If the board is broken, that will make your fuses pop like corn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ip dimmer blows .