General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car accelerating on its own

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car accelerating on its own

a new problem just came up last night on my way home, the car just kept accelerating i had to ride the breaks to go under 25. anyone know why this is happening or a way to fix it? and also my battery had died out of no where and i had to jump it before i left the house.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

return spring in the T body is messed up, or the throttle positioning sensor went bad... im leaning towards the first one
Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Assuming you were not driving downhill, then it sounds like the engine is getting more air than commanded by your right foot. This is either due to a vacuum leak, or a stuck throttle cable/blade/etc., or an IAC that, for one of several possibile reasons, is allowing too much airflow.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Teching In

how would i go about figuring out which one it is
Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go under the hood. Check the TB blade to see if it's stuck. Get some electrical connection cleaner and clean the IAC and TPS connections. Use some Throttle Body Cleaner to clean the IAC and throttle body.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by trans/am man
a new problem just came up last night on my way home, the car just kept accelerating i had to ride the breaks to go under 25. anyone know why this is happening or a way to fix it? and also my battery had died out of no where and i had to jump it before i left the house.
Kudos to you for not panicking and getting out of the situation safely. (I probably would have **** myself.)

Had you been an old lady driving a Toyota, you might have ended up a lot worse and we may have been hearing about this on the news!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

haha thank you, but yeah i handled it a little better then the Toyota drivers did. I just cleaned the throttle body and surrounding things and everything seems back to normal for the time being thank you guys for the help.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

this just happened to me as well. battery was completely dead. after a few bad attempts of starting it durring the jumping process it started up let it set for about a min or so and then went to drive instantly i could tell something was not right. rpms where to high as i was driving away got on the road and thought it would stop after a min or so but the car kept gaining speed i stopped about a mile or two away from where i jumped it rpm's still staying around 1500 or a little higher at idle. turn the car off and back on and it was back to normal. no idea what caused it never had this happen before after jumping the battery.

Quick Reply: car accelerating on its own