General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

classic trans am wont start issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default classic trans am wont start issue!

Situation details as follows: Two or three years ago i purchased a 98' trans am. I completely stripped and reassembled using 2000-2002 parts. Including complete interior, trim, dash, etc... The wiring is all 2001. Engine and transmission are froma 2004 gto. I purchased a pcm from a recommended person off of here about 1 1/2 years ago. Car was put together fine and ran well upto 3 months ago. Left house and drove to sears, went in and came out and car will not start. Lights come on,radio works, windows work, key turns forward... Also the security light goes out once key goes forward but if key is held forward it flashes. I have tried to read as many posts as possibe but want to make sure i am not making harder than it really is. Checked battery wiring,starter,new key(needed spare anyways), and now checking bcm. In looking at bcm board how does one know for certain if hairine cracks are there? Are they visible and so on? Also if its not bcm then does this usually end with the wiring on ignition being the culprit?

Last edited by aCable1; 07-26-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try swapping your relays.

They are for the ignition and the starter. Either swap them with your fan relays or with eachother. If you have no crank... prob the starter one is bad. If you have crank but no start. probably the ignition one is bad. They also need to be facing this direction... so you can read them from standing on the drivers side.

Also, check your fuses. There are several fuses that will keep it from starting. Anything to do with the PCM/ECU or ignition. theres one inside i know for sure, i just did it the other day, i believe its a 25.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if needed i have both replays and BCM if any of your stuff is bad
Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Thank you gentleman! You'd think by now after all the work and man hours I wouldn't skim over something as simple as a 10amp gauge fuse. That's why it wouldn't start! Would have never guessed it!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome! Gotta love it when its something easy!

Quick Reply: classic trans am wont start issue!