General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration, lack of power, bad mpg's, SES, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration, lack of power, bad mpg's, SES, etc...

I recently purchased my 2000 WS6 M6 and I've had this problem since I picked it up.

The car has a slight vibration from the motor, both during driving and reving. You can especially feel it in the steering wheel when it's coming back down in rev's while just sitting. While driving, the car doesnt feel as smooth as it should be. I also definitely am down on power. And my gas mileage is absolutely terrible, during only highway cruising.

As a side note, I figured I should mention that I have a small exhaust leak somewhere. It's only noticable when accelerating, but I really hate that sound.

I have gotten pretty used to my Z06 and I didn't realize how bad my car was running until I got in my buddy's 98 WS6, his was so much smoother.

Anyways, all these problems have been going on since I got the car. I've put a couple hundred miles on it since I trailered it home from Atlanta to Ohio. Before today, I was thinking that I should sea foam the car, change plugs/wires and fuel filter.

Well on my way home from work, which is about an hour on the highway each way, the check engine light came on. I stopped at advanced auto parts and the code said Bank 2, O2 sensor 1. Two codes for the same thing.

This has me thinking that the other stuff is ok and just my 02 sensor is going bad? But after doing some searching on here, I see that a leaky manifold will cause 02 sensors to give bad readings. The leak isnt bad, and is only noticable under acceleration.

Before I go sea foam and fix my annoying exhaust leak, I'd like to have my car running right. I hate to waste money by guessing or taking my car to a mechanic. What should my first step be?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

If the only thing to do is just replace the O2 sensor, are auto part store ones up to par?

Also, which side is bank 2?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Ditch the exhaust manifold, go for headers. Buy stainless, they'll last the longest, and you can find em real cheap if you look around. Exhaust leak fixed.

Once you've gotten that done, check out the O2 banks again. Hopefully they'll stop throwing codes. If not, replace em.

That should fix the gas mileage problem and power. The sensors send information to the engine based on how lean or rich the exhaust is. If it seems to be running lean (due to an exhaust leak) it'll tell the engine to use more fuel to air. This causes a lot of fuel to be wasted, and also restricts the amount it can burn.

I don't see how this would affect your power too much though. Maybe your low end, but if you go WOT, I think the computer stops using O2 sensor information to make its decisions.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Teching In

I am having almost the exact same problem on my wifes '98 WS6.The only difference is that I can only hear a tiny exhaust leak when it is started cold and goes away pretty quickly.I changed the plugs and put MSD wires on it and right at first it ran better than it has ever since we've owned it and was really smooth with absolutely no vibration at all.I previously changed both U-joints and checked driveline angles to try and fix the vibration and right after the plug change was the only time it went away.i scanned it and had issues with short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim on bank 1.could this all be a result of the slight exhaust leak on start-up?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. If the o2 sensor can feel any cold air it will disrupt the engines performance and your car will buck and kick because the computer is adjusting fuel settings incorrectly based on sensor readings.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Teching In

you may find it hard to believe ,but I lived in Lubbock and Plainview and have a few relatives still in both of those locations.Weird huh?So you think it could be the exhaust leak I have?It is only audible when it is dead cold like after it has been sitting for 8 or more hours.I guess it could be sucking enough to make the calibration an issue and maybe not be heard after warm up and expansion of exhaust.

Quick Reply: Vibration, lack of power, bad mpg's, SES, etc...