General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Charging Issue

I'm having a difficult time figuring this one out. When I first start the car, charging voltage is fine, around 14.5 volts...Slowly as the car warms up to operating temperature the voltage drops down to 12 volts. I have a lot of stereo items so I got rid of the stock alternator, which tested good btw, and bought a brand new Delco 145 amp truck alternator. Installed it with a new 4 gauge wire directly to the battery...same problem still existed. Replaced exciter wire and pigtail, same problem. Another note, if I add loads to the car, like headlights for example, the voltage always jumps about 2 volts above wherever it may be at the time. I thought about running the 12v ignition on switched wire for the exciter with the 470 ohm resistor in-line, but don't want to burn up a brand new alternator. Any ideas? Anyone run into this before? Thanks for the help.

Paul
Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Also, I have several added ground straps on the car along with the factory ones, so I don't believe grounding is an issue. I also removed my capacitor from my stereo as I've heard of those shorting out internally and causing a short to ground...That seemed to help it and delay the voltage drop a little, but it still happens everytime.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

TTT...Trying to figure this out.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

BUMP...I started working on this issue again. I bought a new battery to rule that out. So it's got a 145amp Delco alternator w/ overdrive pulley, new battery, New 4 ga power wire directly from battery to alternator....When warm it reads sub 13 volts. I also tried wiring an ignition on exciter wire w/ resistor and didn't change a thing. Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I've read until I've gone cross-eyed on this. Everyone says Check battery, alternator, run new power/ground wires, verify all connections. I ran a new wire battery to alternator, but I haven't run one alternator to distribution yet...Someone has to have run into this issue before? Anyone?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How are you getting the voltage readings? Are you measuring at the alternator or looking at the dashboard.

If you are looking at the dashboard, then I'd recommend testing at the alt cold and then hot - then test at the battery cold and then hot. That will help rule out a lot of things.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
How are you getting the voltage readings? Are you measuring at the alternator or looking at the dashboard.

If you are looking at the dashboard, then I'd recommend testing at the alt cold and then hot - then test at the battery cold and then hot. That will help rule out a lot of things.
The gauge, also hooked a DVOM to the battery, also logged it w/ my Matco scanner reading it directly off the ECU. It did the same thing by each reading, though the dash gauge does seem to read a little lower then the other 2 methods.

Paul
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Save the manuals!

You may have a wiring issue, in which case, the gauge and the ECU methods won't help. They are giving a measure of what your accessories are seeing for voltage and not what each component is doing.

So, are you seeing the voltage drop at the battery with the DVOM when the car is warm?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

You may have a wiring issue, in which case, the gauge and the ECU methods won't help. They are giving a measure of what your accessories are seeing for voltage and not what each component is doing.

So, are you seeing the voltage drop at the battery with the DVOM when the car is warm?
Yes sir. I'm trying to figure out the exact range that is considered too low. it gets down to around 12.80V when warm at it's lowest point. If I kick on a load, like the headlights, it usually brings it back up to around 13.20, but eventually will drop w/ headlights on to 12.80ish after a while. From what I understand, it should really never spend time below 13V, especially w/ loads on. The ECU reads identically to the DVOM...The gauge however, reads a little on the low side so I dont put much trust in it. Thanks.

Paul
Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

was the alt NEW ? or rebuilt?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
was the alt NEW ? or rebuilt?
Brand new AC Delco 145 amp.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

reason i say that is soooo few alts are ACTUALLY new.....sure its not a reman?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Ya I got it from a buddy that bought it directly from GM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Save the manuals!

The battery should read 13+ all the time unless it isn't charging properly. Are you sure your exciter wire/circuit is good? I wonder if its loosing contact when things warm up and expand?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

The exciter is doing its job, I forget what the voltage was supposed to be but when I checked it it was energizing like it should. I even ran a new wire from the pinout to the alternator from the ecu pinout. Then I tried running an ignition on wire with resistor directly to it. No matter what I do I get the same results.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

I wonder what the chances are of the voltage regulator being shot in the new alternator. Would be highly unlikely since it was new and since the stock alternator was doing the same thing. I've tested both regulators on and off the car. Cold and hot. I'm not sure what else to try to get them to fail.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by hardrock21
I wonder what the chances are of the voltage regulator being shot in the new alternator. Would be highly unlikely since it was new and since the stock alternator was doing the same thing. I've tested both regulators on and off the car. Cold and hot. I'm not sure what else to try to get them to fail.
Easy. Just test the voltage at the alternator with the engine cold and then warm.

OK- That's not easy, but it should confirm this or disprove it.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Easy. Just test the voltage at the alternator with the engine cold and then warm.

OK- That's not easy, but it should confirm this or disprove it.
I've done that. I have tested them on the car when the voltage is low and it comes back good diodes, good regulator. Same thing on a repeated bench test. I ran it 5 or 6 times back to back on a bench tester and have been unable thus far to get a failed test on either alternator.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Does anybody know if it is normal to have high resistance between the engine block and positive battery cable when the cables are disconnected from the battery? By high resistance I mean like 9 mega ohms...Is that normal? Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I can't consider 9 mega ohms a short, but I honestly expected to get an open circuit reading when I did that test so it caught me off guard.