General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weather stripping

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather stripping

I have a 2001 T-top Camaro and i cant find anywhere with weather stripping that isnt extremely expensive. Is that just the cost of it? Or are there any sites anybody recommends?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youngsfbody.com/9302weatherstripping
Only one i found
Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I didnt have much luck either. Is that for the doors too or just the t tops?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both i think give em a call they would know. Is your weatherstripping worn out? Leaking? Or what?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Leaking when i wash the car. It sprays water from the top part of the driver side window and leaks in the back around the pillars on the upper part of the hatch
Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Unless you can visibly tell your weatherstripping is bad... it isn't.

Can you see a visible gap between the window and weatherstripping? If not, then you may just need to adjust the window. If you can, then you may have this problem...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ oh yea. Mine was worn out and I bought some used off Ebay, lubricated it with Dielectric Grease and everything is good for me. Just an idea.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

Try Classic Industries or Hawks Third Gen.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

I have same car and same issue. I'm gonna try using some kind of sealant or clear silicone. Hoping it will prevent the "wet roof" symptom. Also bought windshield and glass clear liquid sealant.

Does your floor area ever get wet? Mine had puddled water. I think it comes in from the dealt belt bolts.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Seat belt bolts ^^^

Almost all the bolts I took out had a sticky silicone type goop on them. Thinking that is what makes the seal, since it's basically just a hole that leads straight down to the wet road...my driver side seat belt bolt was clean of the goop though. And under the driver seat and back floor board is where the most water had collected.

Just stripped my interior and pulled up the carpeting this weekend. It was a nasty mess...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Unless you can visibly tell your weatherstripping is bad... it isn't.

Can you see a visible gap between the window and weatherstripping? If not, then you may just need to adjust the window. If you can, then you may have this problem...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
The window makes it all the way up checked today. But thats good info on the window motor plate, im going to be my passenger side soon anyways
Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dankl
I have same car and same issue. I'm gonna try using some kind of sealant or clear silicone. Hoping it will prevent the "wet roof" symptom. Also bought windshield and glass clear liquid sealant.

Does your floor area ever get wet? Mine had puddled water. I think it comes in from the dealt belt bolts.
The floor mats have gotten moist before in the winter, but I recently dyno-matted the car and pulled out the whole interior and i didnt see any water marks or anything like that
Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Try Classic Industries or Hawks Third Gen.
Thanks a lot it looks like classic industries has everything
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Silverado SS and it has quite a bit of wind noise on the highway. What I have been reading is people stuff 3/8" latex or silicone tubing inside the void of the weatherstrip. It helps it puff back up and stop noise and leaks. I personally have not done this on my Trans Am or Silverado. Not yet at least.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dankl
Almost all the bolts I took out had a sticky silicone type goop on them. Thinking that is what makes the seal, since it's basically just a hole that leads straight down to the wet road...my driver side seat belt bolt was clean of the goop though.
We'll let you duct-tape up the car with silicone or whatever but when it comes to this stuff, we should interject.

That stuff on the threads is threadlocker. You'll need to buy some of the same color and put it on the threads before you re-install. It's a key safety item and keeps the bolts from vibrating loose. (Depending on the specific torques and engineering of a bolt connection, it may or may not require the thread locker.)
Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ul-ss
The window makes it all the way up checked today. But thats good info on the window motor plate, im going to be my passenger side soon anyways
If your weatherstripping look good, then it is.

Just raise the front or rear glass stop so the window raises up a little tighter against the weatherstripping, and you should be fine. If you take off the door panel and look inside the door, you'll see the stops that engage the glass and rollers as it goes up.

I had to do this on my car and after 10+ years... a little adjustment is understandable.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

If your weatherstripping look good, then it is.

Just raise the front or rear glass stop so the window raises up a little tighter against the weatherstripping, and you should be fine. If you take off the door panel and look inside the door, you'll see the stops that engage the glass and rollers as it goes up.

I had to do this on my car and after 10+ years... a little adjustment is understandable.
It looks a little worn but not enough to make it leak that bad. Ill definitely try raising the stops.. As for the rear hatch i'm guessing the only route is new weather strip or should I just try to adjust the stops back there too?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Do you have leaking in the rear, also? There are stops back there, which you can turn by hand, but there are also other issues back there, which can lead to leaking. If the weatherstripping looks fine, 99.9% chance it is fine.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Wssix99, thank you for the info on the thread lock. I will make sure to pick some up before reinstalling the seatbelt bolts. Idiots at autozone pointed me in the silicone direction...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont go to autozone go to napa if not napa orilleys

Quick Reply: Weather stripping