General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car stared to over heat last night....now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stared to over heat last night....now wont start

02 SS started leaking coolant randomly last night which led to my temp rappidly rising...I was able to baby it home pulling it over every few mins turning it off popping the hood and running the fans till the temp got down.....got it home in the drive way popped hood ran fans went to bed...woke up this am it wont start....turn the key fuel pumps run and everything hit the ignition and nothing...not a sound...tried to pop start it incase it was the starter (had starter issues in the past) nothing it def turned over when i let the clutch out but didnt sound like it wanted to start....wondering what to check first...thanks in advance for any help...i really need it
Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

did it even attempt to turn over? you say it was overheating and leaking coolant. Hopefully you didnt hydrolock the engine. where was it leaking coolant from? how low was it and for how long did you drive it to get it home?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Are you low on coolant? Check your oil to see if it looks like milkshake. Did you smell burning coolant when it was running hot? Was it missing or running rough?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

undertow: no i didnt even hear the solinoid on the starter click not a sound, it is low on coolant now looked like it was coming from the wp seal it drove fine..it was about a 15 min drive total (not 15 straight, stopped 4 times to keep turnin the fans on and let the temp come back down, everytime it started back up w no prob, no smoke, it was not running rough...

liljay:i did smell coolant but i think it was the coolant burning off on the block, headers etc...it def got on the belts and stuff , the sudden squeek it picked up is what first made me look at the gauges notice the temp was getting up...im gonna run out and check the oil in a min

thanks for the help so far
Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

checked the oil...looks good not milky or anything
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

SO when you try and crank it does the engine turn over? Or click? anything? Little confused on the wording on that. If it does nothing when you hit the key I would first check the battery or try and jump it just make sure you have a GOOD HEAVY set of jumper cables and some larger vehicle to jump it off from. People always make the mistake thinking that the 10 dollar set of jumper cables from the gas station will do a good job they are useless!!!

Sounds like you just have low voltage if I am reading this correctly. If nothing after that you may need to pull out a plug or two and try and crank it make sure you dont have water in the cylinders. If it got hot though could have killed the battery or if you left the key on last night to let the fans cool it off that would have killed the battery too. Just because you get dash lights and the radio works that is NOT enough battery to start the car.

Quick Reply: Car stared to over heat last night....now wont start