General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Smoking but not overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Smoking but not overheating

Been happening for about 2 weeks. Im not one to be savy with motors. Im asking if anyone knows a reputable (preferably a fellow f-body owner) shop in southern cali (carson, long beach area) Much appreciated.

My car has a slight oil leak ever since i got the car 2 years ago, but never smoked before. Did some google searches and some say to just change the oil pan. *sigh* then read on HOW to change the oil pan, and well...dont have the ability -_- nor equipment. So i decided to just let a professional find the issue(s) instead of me, but now i dont know where to go. I dont wanna get dicked around.

If this is in the wrong section, sorry. Mod please move to correct section.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 133 Posts

Try posting in the regional forum
Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheres the smoke coming from? your exhaust? what color is it?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM

If it's coming from your engine bay, fix the leak and clean the bay. If is coming from your exhaust, it could be a few things. what color smoke? White is coolant, blue is oil and black is gas.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Teching In

its coming from the engine bay. when the hood is closed, its coming up from the driver side. theirs an opening below the driver side wiper in the top corner of the hood where the smoke is coming from. if i had to say a color, its white, but not visible all the time. i cant seem to pin point exactly where the smoke is coming from though. anyone know how to post a video from an iphone to the forum? i recorded it, but i cant transfer it -_-
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Photobucket might host vids, if not just upload it to YouTube and post us the link.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oil leaks have nothing to do with the engine overheating.....unless the leak is like a garden hose.

Might be dripping from a leak in the rear main seal. My friends Vette has a small leak, dripping oil from his rear main seal and when I stop at a light or stop sign....white smoke starts coming from the hood and sides of car. When I pop the hood it comes up from behind the intake on the drivers side.

You need someone to put the car on a lift with the engine running and find the source of the leak with a flashlight.....to be sure what it is.

When oil leaks from the oil pan it doesn't drip onto anything hot.....so you should see no smoke from it, just an oil stain on the ground. So oil is hitting something hot like your exhaust piping to make the smoke that you see......

Could be a leaking valve cover gasket hitting the exhaust manifold......

Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

If you are seeing smoke come from under the hood every once in a while it is probably a bad valve cover gasket and you are getting a drop of oil on the exhaust every once in a while. Worst case a rear main seal

Quick Reply: Car Smoking but not overheating