General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust question- Banging/Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question- Banging/Rubbing

Hey guys,

I just got my TSP LT's put in by a good friend of mine. Car seems to bottom out....scared the **** out of me going over a speed bump yesterday lol.

Check this out,

First, all I have to say is TSP sells a great product. The only thing I do not like, is the clamps that came with the Y-Pipe. Judging by the picture, these are definitely costing me an inch or two of clearance. Could I turn these sideways? Or are there some better quality band clamps I could use?

Another problem area IMO...my Hooker cat-back. I bought it used from a member on here, who cut off a part of the I-pipe and then welded it back upon selling to me. As you can see by this picture...it hangs lower than the headers (I used a touch up pen to show the contrast)

My friend has a pipe bender-- I am thinking of getting some new 3" piping and just having it bent and re-installed to make it clear better....this definitely has to be hitting.

I also have rubbing on the back axle-- Would a new PHB be something to look into? It's pretty annoying, we tried putting some rubber between the back and the pipe and that helped a little-- but I know that's just putting a band aid on a open wound

Thanks for any replies, I always like to get some new perspectives.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

As far as the exhaust clamps go, how are these? I saw them on Speed Inc's website:

Looks to give me some more clearance and an overall better clamp (No offense to TSP)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

You're losing A LOT of clearance with those clamps, I haven't seen those clamps since i took the exhaust apart on my 95 dodge cummins...get some different clamps on there, or turn them sideways
Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I will ask my friend who did it if he can turn them. Do you think the catback I pipe is causing issues too, and could the method I mentioned above work ?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn your clamps sideways. You gain an inch and a half there.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Turn your clamps sideways. You gain an inch and a half there.
Thanks, what about the catback-- it seems like its lower than the end of the clamp bolts.

I will give it a try myself...after I mow the lawn.....in 108 heat index LOL.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xxKennyDxx
Thanks, what about the catback-- it seems like its lower than the end of the clamp bolts.

I will give it a try myself...after I mow the lawn.....in 108 heat index LOL.
I'm not sure what you can do about that catback. Mine never was anywhere that low. You might try adjusting pipe angles. Or, if you want your exhaust to sound totally bad *** just go true duals I ran with an ORY and catback for 2 and a half months and though I could take the rasp. I was wrong. Here is a video of my change from ORY to Duals.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I'm not sure what you can do about that catback. Mine never was anywhere that low. You might try adjusting pipe angles. Or, if you want your exhaust to sound totally bad *** just go true duals I ran with an ORY and catback for 2 and a half months and though I could take the rasp. I was wrong. Here is a video of my change from ORY to Duals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXI5F_sbMo8
Yeah, I love my Hooker Aerochamber catback. With the headers, it has the quiet at idle sound I wanted. Only loud when I get on it. Rasp? Not much if ANY with this catback, honestly.

I think we will get a 3 inch pipe, get measurements, and use the pipe bender to get it to tuck better. True duels....just a little too loud for me. Would rather be nice and quiet, but still have all the performance. Once I add a cam, it'll give it the sound Thanks for the recommendation though!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xxKennyDxx
Yeah, I love my Hooker Aerochamber catback. With the headers, it has the quiet at idle sound I wanted. Only loud when I get on it. Rasp? Not much if ANY with this catback, honestly.

I think we will get a 3 inch pipe, get measurements, and use the pipe bender to get it to tuck better. True duels....just a little too loud for me. Would rather be nice and quiet, but still have all the performance. Once I add a cam, it'll give it the sound Thanks for the recommendation though!
Anytime. I will post when I drop in my mild as hell cam in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question- Banging/Rubbing