General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering rack leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering rack leak

my rack is leaking right on the seal where the steering column meets i was wondering if i can just replace the seals or if i need to replace the rack... also does anyone have a how to on this?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put in a new rack in my 97 Formula this morning. It wasn't bad. I do not know where you could even get seals for the input.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Could you explain all you have to do I'm just trying to get a idea because I'll end up doing it I wouldn't dare let a shop touch my turbo ls haha
Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced mine today for the same exact problem. You can replace the seal but it's more of a PITA then anything else. Buy a solid used rack and pinion and sell your leaking one for cheap. Someone could use it as a core or fix it themselves.

There are 2 bolts going through the k-member holding it in (15mm bolt and 18mm nut). Take those out (I had to cut the driver side bolt because the oil pan was in the way, happened to have another bolt that worked). Pop the outer tie rods out and save the cotter pins (18mm nut if they're factory outer tie rods). Take the high and low pressure lines out of the rack (18mm). Finally, to get the steering knuckle apart from the pinion, there is one 11mm bolt where they meet, take that out. Then use a flathead screwdriver and stick it in the gap in the end of the steering knuckle and hammer it in (angled upward). This will spread the end of the knuckle to release it from the pinion shaft.

When you're putting the new one in, put the bolts holding the rack to the k-member in the opposite way you took them out (nut on top rather than on bottom).

I'd recommend trying to take the driver side rack bolt out FIRST before anything else. If it's running into the oil pan and will not come out, I'd try to look for another bolt before taking everything apart (unless it's not a DD). Because you will have to cut the bolt in half.

This should get you through the whole process. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

seal repair kit GM#26032824
Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
seal repair kit GM#26032824
thanks!

Quick Reply: power steering rack leak