General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what happens if i add more oil into the AC compressor ?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation what happens if i add more oil into the AC compressor ?

Hello there,

i've recently got my ac compressor repaired, changed the seals and so on,
anyway i think they forgot to put oil in it after the repair so i used it 2 days without oil. took it back to the garage and he added oil to the compressor without removing it. connected the pipe to the accumulator/drier and kept feeding oil to it without gauge or something.

today morning i saw oil spots at first i thought they were engine oil i lifted my camaro and noticed its coming from the compressor.

the thing is, is it possible that the extra oil gets out of the compressor, i mean is there like a hole or something that the extra oil gets off ?

am saying that because the car has been parked for nearly 3 hours and there is no sign of any leak or so.

thanx in advance
Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

anyone ?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

the oil is not meant to stay in the compressor it circulates throughout the system most cars hold around 6-8 oz of oil however just because you replace the compressor doesnt mean you need the full amount replaced a lot of it remains in the system even after a full vacuum if its not leaking or behaving erratically run it like it is you should be fine
Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

No there is no way for the oil to escape from the system unless its leaking somehwere. Adding too much oil will result in it not cooling properly and the pressures will be off.

My guess is if he filled it with out taking the compressor off the car he probably spilled some. Is it still cooling correctly? Keep an eye on it and if you don't see anymore oil i wouldn't worry about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what happens if i add more oil into the AC compressor ?