General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key won't remove from ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't remove from ignition

Ok, didn't want to zombify an old thread so I made a new one.

About 2 days ago my key started sticking in the ignition, wouldn't come out without a fight. Well today it has decided to stay in the ignition and will not come out no matter what I do. It is a 2000 M6 Z28. I guess I need to replace the cylinder, is there a certain brand that people have had better luck with? And I guess I would have to transfer my VATS resistor from the old key to the new key that I would get made, correct?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it turn back to the lock postition? If not, then grab the steering column in front of the key and twist it counterclockwise. Just like an older column mount shifter.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

It cycles through all the positions on the ignition. I have always turned it to the lock area then taken it out. Now it just won't come out, my other key actually bent with the force it took to remove it from the ignition lock.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My lock cylinder took a dump on me not too long ago when I was trying to leave a shop from getting my a/c charged. VATS started kicking on an off, key wouldn't turn in cylinder or come out, etc. Just happened all at once. Had them fix it because I didn't want to pay to have it towed home so I could do it lol. They used an AC Delco and I believe he told me that was the only option. You have to ohm your key and find out what the resistance is. Then get blank keys with the correct resistance chip in them from the dealer. The new ignition cylinder will come with a master key to make copies. Don't go to Walmart, Lowe's, etc. to have the keys cut; they won't do it. Only place I could find to do it was a locksmith.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

I had a simular issue with an IROC Camaro back in the day; after some one tried to steal the car.

I was able to go to a locksmith, have them order a new Vats lock cylinder, and then have it matched to the original key. I then installed the cylinder into the column.
I don't remember this costing a lot of money.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my ex's 94 S10 Blazer, the little copper piece that makes the buzzer buzz was messed up and would make the key stay in the cylinder. Take the wheel and lock plate off and it is right there. Try that and see what happens.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbo489
I guess I need to replace the cylinder
Or you can just take it to a good locksmith and have them rebuild the thing. A lot easier then trying to match up a VATS replacement.

Quick Reply: Key won't remove from ignition