General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfire help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire help!!

02 Camaro Z28 T56 110K miles

Ok for a few weeks now I have been getting this subtle feeling that something was wrong with the Camaro. And the other day it finally popped a code (cylinder 1 misfire) I didn’t have access to tools when the code came up so I just moved the cylinder 1 wire to cylinder 3 and cleared the code hoping that when I got home I would get either cylinder 1 again meaning that it was either the plug or the coil or I would get cylinder 3 and it would be the wire, it didn’t work like that.

When I got home I had a new code P0300 (random cylinder misfire). Not sure what was going on I pulled the cylinder 1 and 3 plugs and wires, both wires ohmed out at around .319k ohm’s (I am guessing that is ok because they were both similar.) and both plugs looked fine. So I put everything back and cleaned my MAF and then cleared the code and started her up, and again P0300 and she was running a little rougher this time.

So today I decided to swap my fuel filter (because it has never been done that I know of.) and try again this time when I started her up I got the cylinder 1 misfire then cleared the code let her run a little more an then got P0300. After clearing the code again I un-plugged the MAF and started her up it took longer to throw a code and she was running rough but she only through P0102 (Something about MAF voltage.) which I was expecting. I don’t have the pin out for our MAF’s and I don’t have a multimeter that reads Hertz to test my MAF

So basically what I am asking is this a conclusive test that my MAF is bad?
And what else could be causing this and how do I test it?

Thanks guys sorry for the long post.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

I get 0300 when i wash the underside of my car and goes away on it own?? I have no idea lol
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

thanks

Also the plugs and wires are a little less than 2 years old.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hmm. is it missing consistantly? i washed my engine bay and followed advice on here by letting it dry by running it. well the fuse for my cylinder 1 inj was fried. try checking that. just my .02
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't washed my engine bay and it has not rained here in months but I will look into it.

thanks
any other tips out there?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Any other tips or advise out there
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

I checked the Fuses and they were fine.
Also I tried out a new MAF and popped cylinder 1 misfire again.

I'm not sure if its the coil or something else

any other suggestions
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

So I have swapped Cylinder 1's coil with Cylinder 2's
Popped Cylinder 1 misfire cleared that then popped Random misfire.

Is there any sensor that might pop both of these codes at alternate times or cause the misfire of multiple cylinders to misfire.

well I am going to check compression next and fuel pressure after that....Is there any thing else I should look into?

Help please
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

thats really odd. i cant think of anything that would.

again going from my personal experience. i have a random misfire at take off and slow shifts when the rpms drop enough causing a hesitation. but i have oxygen sensor codes. im gonna replace my o2 sensors and go from there. but a random miss is some time into diagnosing
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Banned

Number one reason for a random missfires are vacuum leaks. 1st check your intake bolts are properly tightened. Look for broken or cracked PCV hoses. GO TO A GOOD MECHANIC...................
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

This might sound odd, but it happened to me so I figured I'd chime in. Inspect all of the wires while the car is running, preferably in a darker environment. Check to see if any of them is arcing/shorting out to anything. Mine had a pin sized hole in it that was jumping to my ect sensor/passenger cylinder head which was causing a random misfire.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Problem is fixed

So after checking my MAF, compression and fuel pressure moving plugs, wires, coils and injectors around. After all that I decided that I need to step back and apply Occam's razor.

So on this new angle I decide to check the reviews on the spark plugs I put in two years ago because at the time the only info out there was from the company and various tv spots and only a few reviews, They were E3's.

Now a couple years latter there are tons of reviews and what was common among them was that when they went bad in GM motors they would throw two codes like the ones I was getting. So I ordered a set of NGK's and presto problem solved.

Now I just have to fix my window other wise its going to be a wet winter.

Quick Reply: Misfire help!!