General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whats this sound coming from my engine? (video included)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats this sound coming from my engine? (video included)

So the sound youll hear in the video that you think is static is not. sounds like something is caught in the ac and is causing the sound but A/C is off and it only does it when i am cruising at lower rpms and not accelerating but maintaining speed. It sounds like when a piece of paper gets stuck in a vent and air is making it flap back in forth really fast. Please tell me its not my lifters. Engine is only 3k miles old.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Say there is something in my vents could i produce enough air without the A/C on to cause the noise?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew-Bot

So the sound youll hear in the video that you think is static is not. sounds like something is caught in the ac and is causing the sound but A/C is off and it only does it when i am cruising at lower rpms and not accelerating but maintaining speed. It sounds like when a piece of paper gets stuck in a vent and air is making it flap back in forth really fast. Please tell me its not my lifters. Engine is only 3k miles old.

I had a hard time picking out a flapping sound on the video, but your description of the conditions it occurs under started me thinking.

(1) Lower RPM's

(2) Steady speed

Both of those conditions have something in common. They produce higher engine vacuum than accelerating or driving at higher RPM's.

QUESTION : What does it do under deceleration ? ( Another period of higher vacuum )

I am wondering about the possibility of a vacuum leak-related problem, but want the experts to comment on this.

Dave

Last edited by ez2cdave; 10-24-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

thanks dave, Actually I think it might be the exhaust it was recently takin off when they did my clutch and may have not been put together all the way or could have been there for a while and I not notice. It was put together by a custom shop so there are possibilities that its not sealed all the way.
As far as acceleration I do not hear it, or the engine may just out voice the leak.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew-Bot
thanks dave, Actually I think it might be the exhaust it was recently takin off when they did my clutch and may have not been put together all the way or could have been there for a while and I not notice. It was put together by a custom shop so there are possibilities that its not sealed all the way.
As far as acceleration I do not hear it, or the engine may just out voice the leak.
Hopefully, it is only an exhaust leak, as you posted. I'd run it back to the shop and see if they'll check it out ( for free )

Good Luck !

Dave

Quick Reply: Whats this sound coming from my engine? (video included)