General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Chronic thrown serpentine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chronic thrown serpentine belt?

So my 99 z28 keeps throwing the serp belt after i replaced a squeaky one about 2 weeks ago, after going through at least 3 belts , I decided to replace the stock idle pulley with the buick one that people on here recommend. But it has thrown it twice in the span of 15 minutes with the new pulley.

So what's next? A KAtech fixed tensioner?

None of my other pulleys have any play in them by the way.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If the old belt was fine, you shouldn't need a new tensioner.

Are you following the routing diagram on driver's side pillar? Did you check the tensioner marks to make sure you have the proper tension? Are your pulley's in good condition? Have you tried putting the old belt back on?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Teching In

I replaced the old belt because it was glazed over and squeaking when the car was cold, and sadly I threw it away awhile ago.

I believe i have the proper tension on my pulley, the marks are lined up, I can post a picture of where it sits tomorrow when it's light outside.

All of my other pulleys seem to be fine, they stay in place when i pull/wiggle them.

I'm stumped!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

yes virgina.......tensioners do wear out............get a new one
Old 11-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Highly unlikely that the tensioner is bad if this started with a new belt...

Was any other piece of equipment changed with the belt? What kind of belt and part number did you purchase?

The first step is to confirm the routing with the guide on the driver's shock mount tower.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by z28thebridge
So my 99 z28 keeps throwing the serp belt after i replaced a squeaky one about 2 weeks ago, after going through at least 3 belts , I decided to replace the stock idle pulley with the buick one that people on here recommend. But it has thrown it twice in the span of 15 minutes with the new pulley.

So what's next? A KAtech fixed tensioner?

None of my other pulleys have any play in them by the way.

Thanks guys!
I'm not saying your tensioner is bad....but its probably reached a point of no return tension-wise and its garbage now.

I've been trying to tell people on here for a decade that the GM tensioner is a joke.......get the Katech fixed tensioner. When I put mine on 10+ years ago I didn't change a belt until last year as preventative maintenance, the belt was still ok. It lasted 9 years. I keep in my car as a spare......

The problem with the GM tensioner, it allows the belt to bounce and stratch when you accelerate hard......this causes the belt to stretch. My 9 year old belt has not stretched at all. My new belt has my tensioner tightened down in the same exact position......belts DO NOT stretch with the Katech. AT ALL......
If a belt does not stretch....it will remain tight on day one and remain tight on year 6,7,8,9,10......

Get the Katech, you'll by a new belt every 8-10 years.

BUT....also make sure something in the entire pulley system is not becoming misaligned maybe because of a bolt thats loosening or becoming stripped.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Teching In

No new equipment, and I'm positive the routing for the belt is right.

Looks like I might have to get that Katech after all
Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Yea...GM really designed a piece of **** when they did that tensioner.

They spent more money R&Ding a tensioner with a spring and moving parts.......when they could have just produced a LESS expensive, better part by making a fixed tensioner for us all.

But GM needs customers coming back buying new parts so they can make more cash......

Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yea...GM really designed a piece of **** when they did that tensioner.
This isn't true. I, like hundreds of thousands of people, have had a stock tensioner on my car for 13+ years with no problem.

Tensioners work with a spring. All springs wear out over time. If you get 10+ years out of a spring, that's great and one should:
- rejoice
- give the springs a kiss, slaute, whatever, and bury it in the back yard
- replace it

The Katech tensioner works, but it isn't for everyone. Its an old school design (probably what the doctor ordered for racers) but it comes with old school maintenance headaches. (It has to be adjusted as the belt stretches and wears.)

If the car is a daily driver and if the tensioner is worn out, (I still believe its hightly unlikely that the OP's issue is not related to the tensioner - it worked fine before the belt change.) I'd suggest replacing with a stock design and don't worry about it for another 10 years. By that time, gasoline will be outlawed and we'll all be driving electric cars, anyway.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Save the manuals!

What is the part number for the belt you put on? Many folks have had this problem to find something small is off with the belt.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99

The Katech tensioner works, but it isn't for everyone. Its an old school design (probably what the doctor ordered for racers) but it comes with old school maintenance headaches. (It has to be adjusted as the belt stretches and wears.)
C'MON man.......100% BULLSHIT.....the Katech tensioner keeps the belt from stretching ONE TINY LITTLE BIT.

Did you even read my posts...........the belt DOES NOT STRETCH when the fixed tensioner is used.

I repeat..........NO BELT STRETCH with the fixed tensioner.

One more time.......USE A FIXED TENSIONER = NO BELT STRETCH.

The god damn belt will be 10 years old and it will have ZERO stretch.....same length as when it was new. It will NOT be longer than it was when you first bought it. The length when new will be the same as it will be after 7-8 years.

Proper tension on a belt when installed WILL NOT stretch it.....BOUNCING stretches it. The GM tensioner bounces all the time, every second the engine is on, and especially when you accelerate.

IS THAT CLEAR NOW...........hahahaha

If the car is a daily driver and if the tensioner is worn out, (I still believe its hightly unlikely that the OP's issue is not related to the tensioner - it worked fine before the belt change.) I'd suggest replacing with a stock design and don't worry about it for another 10 years. By that time, gasoline will be outlawed and we'll all be driving electric cars, anyway.
That logic makes zero sense. WHY the hell buy another piece of **** GM factory tensioner when you KNOW FOR SURE you WILL be buying another one in the future when the tension wears out AGAIN.............lol...lol...lol...lol...lol..... ....and hopefully when you're not driving on some highway in the middle of nowhere.

NEWS FLASH:
BUY a fixed tensioner and then you will know its the last tensioner you will ever buy....and belts will last 10 years or longer........wow, what a hard decision this is.

A bouncing tensioner is a ****** JOKE........PERIOD.

Good luck original poster.............

Last edited by LS6427; 11-17-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Save the manuals!

C'MON man.......100% BULLSHIT.....the Katech tensioner keeps the belt from stretching ONE TINY LITTLE BIT.
You have now been exposed! You work for Katech and this is bordering on spam...

Did you even read my posts...........the belt DOES NOT STRETCH when the fixed tensioner is used.
All belts stretch. I suppose a well made belt with a strong structure could stretch less, but the laws of materials and physics still control. (I'm at a loss to understand how a tensioner can manipulate the physical behavior and properties of a belt.)

WHY the hell buy another piece of **** GM factory tensioner when you KNOW FOR SURE you WILL be buying another one in the future
Because:
- You don't have to check the belt tension as a part of routine maintenance
- 99% of people will not own these cars for longer than it takes a tensioner to wear out

I totally agree that a fixed tensioner is a good purchase if someone is racing the car or will own it for multiple decades and is in to maintaining their car.

Alas... we still don't know what kind of belt the OP is using. The problem in the thread started when the OP changed the belt. Before jumping to wild conclusions and writing a lengthy infomercial on tensioners, we should confirm the status of the belt. Having a long discussion about tensioners would be really foolish if it turns out to be the wrong size or shape of belt being used.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

OP look carefully at your pullies and how they line up looking from a side view. Also look to see if the large pully on the bottom of the engine has any wooble to it.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i got a dayco tensioner........it seems to be waaay superior than the GM unit
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All belts stretch. I suppose a well made belt with a strong structure could stretch less, but the laws of materials and physics still control. (I'm at a loss to understand how a tensioner can manipulate the physical behavior and properties of a belt.)

Because:
- 99% of people will not own these cars for longer than it takes a tensioner to wear out

I totally agree that a fixed tensioner is a good purchase if someone is racing the car or will own it for multiple decades and is in to maintaining their car.

Alas... we still don't know what kind of belt the OP is using. The problem in the thread started when the OP changed the belt. Before jumping to wild conclusions and writing a lengthy infomercial on tensioners, we should confirm the status of the belt. Having a long discussion about tensioners would be really foolish if it turns out to be the wrong size or shape of belt being used.
I threw belts left and right when my stock tensioner went out. And even before that I could put a new belt on and watch it stretch on the tensioner over a few weeks. When mine went out I went with the Katech. Since then my belt had not stretched at all and I haven't touched it in over a year. Sorry man saying the Katech stretches the belt and needs to be adjusted is bs.... No stretch and low maintenance is one of the katechs big selling point.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

so did you buy a new tensioner , my procharged car was jumping a tooth on the belt , new tensioner from napa or advance and its fine and hasnt had one problem .
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my belt at 90,000 mi just because it had lotsa cracks and looked rough. The belt started squeaking and rattling right away. Looking closely at the stock tensioner, I could see that the pulley wasn't running perfectly parallel to the beltway any longer. It was badly worn, but wasn't apparent until the new UN-stretched belt was on. $90 for a new GM unit and I should be good for another 100,000 mi.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Well I ordered the Katech, let's just hope i don't have to walk down the side of another road looking for a belt
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned

Well I ordered the Katech, let's just hope i don't have to walk down the side of another road looking for a belt
The belt CANNOT come off if a Katech or ANY OTHER FIXED TENSIONER is used.....there are others out there.

As long as all other pulleys are tight and lined up...and the fixed tensioner is torqued properly, the belt CANNOT come off....period.

Call Katech......ask them if the C5R race car that the Katech tensioner was designed for.....ever throws belts. NOT POSITIVE......but just like the C5R single timing chain.....one has never ever broken.......I think its the same for the fixed tensioner......no more thrown belts.

I just hope you don't have another underlying issue.....

Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Because:

I will concede one thing here.......yes, my belt and all belts stretch. But when the Katech (or other brand) fixed tensioner is used......it cannot be seen when you take a brand new belt and lay them both on a table and put one on top of the other and line them up.....they are the same length visibly. This means they probably stretch like one millimeter, maybe less.

Like I said.....I have a mark on my tensioner. When I took my belt off after almost a decade....and put the new one on, the new one torqued to exactly the same exact mark.......

So like a fluid is not compressible for all practical purposes.....but it really is compressible to a tiny degree in reality......these belts DO NOT stretch when the fixed tensioner is used.

Quick Reply: Chronic thrown serpentine belt?