General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new fuel pump and now... it only idles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new fuel pump and now... it only idles?

So I was wondering if any of you might have any clue as to what I might have done....

Just got done with the TA (yup, another all-nighter) and I fire her up, starts great but as soon as I either 1) put a load on the engine, or 2) give it gas the "Check Gauges" light flickers (1/10th of a second is the longest it's ever on) and the engine sputters, but tries to recover as soon as you take away the throttle, and if not dies.

Only relevent things I did were 1) 255 Fuel pump, w/ HD relay harness (which primes and idles just fine), and 2) Tick Adj. Master(which bled and adjusted fanstastically, from what I can tell).

The SES light only came on after I tried to kick the car over to speed density after unplugging the MAF, which the car wouldn't even start then.

Ideas?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did it run good before the fuel pump install? If so, double check all your fuel connections and your wiring harness. Is this the Racetronix harness you're using?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Probably worth a fuel pressure check. I wonder if you could have knocked off some crap in to the fuel filter. Did you change that, also?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Probably worth a fuel pressure check. I wonder if you could have knocked off some crap in to the fuel filter. Did you change that, also?
Was thinking the same thing. Fuel pressure gauges are relatively cheap at any auto parts store. Or you may know someone local who has one you could borrow.

Quick Reply: new fuel pump and now... it only idles?