General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another CAR WONT START thread. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another CAR WONT START thread. Please help.

Ive searched and I think its time to ask for help. The car is an 02 SS with 58k. The car has been doing this to me on and off for the last week. Sometimes it will start after a couple minutes of trying to crank it and other times it wont turn on at all. Just like all the other threads I have read about the VATS system mine is not starting.
The security light is on when I put the key in but then it turns off after i try to start it and stays off. The only time it turns back on is when I pull the key out and try to start it again.
Battery is a 3 year old optima but it is not dying. Starter is still the original and has not been changed.
Everything has power, I hear the fuel pump prime, , once I turn the key to start the car I get nothing but the starter relay is clikcing ,all the lights turn off like its getting a connection.
At first I thought it was the VATS so I tested the resistance of my keys. They were both 3.75. I got the resistors from radio shack and plugged them into the plug. Maybe there were not getting a good connection but this makes my security light flash on and off. My question is this: If the vats system is acting up will the security light turn off like mine does or will it stay on? IM starting to think that its something other then the VATS. Any ideas?

Last edited by MR2liter; 12-03-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

The car did sometimes sputter(almost like a misfire) when just cruising. This from my research sounds like a dying CPS but I have not found out if the CPS would cause the car not to turn over?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPS symptom, change it with a CPS from ac delco

with the starting issue, its most likely needs a new key or a ignition switch.
A trick i learned was to put the key in super slowly... and turn super slowly.. and it cracked.. i got a new key and it never happened again. The resistor in your key is prolly trashed or the teeth on ur key or worn.. or ur ignition switch is just fucked
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Sorry to Thread jack but its kind of related. My Car seems to be doing the same in a way. While cruising ,it will just shut off and coast, but it will turn back on after I crank it a few seconds later. Would it be the ignition switch going bad maybe?? Is there a way to test it?? Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
CPS symptom, change it with a CPS from ac delco

with the starting issue, its most likely needs a new key or a ignition switch.
A trick i learned was to put the key in super slowly... and turn super slowly.. and it cracked.. i got a new key and it never happened again. The resistor in your key is prolly trashed or the teeth on ur key or worn.. or ur ignition switch is just fucked
I don't think it's the key because the starter relay is clicking + my security light is not on. This makes the think it's not the vats.

I'm going to replace the starter and see what happens! Then the CPS sensor!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

New starter and crank position sensor went it. Car started and died on the 1st try. 2nd try it started and hovered around 500 rpm until I gave it some gas. Now it idles fine. Problem solved.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

99% sure both y'all's problems was the cps.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Launching!

crankshaft position right??? and thanks for the reply
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure and buy the ac delco one
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Turned out I had a bad ground.. Cleaned and tightened all of them and havent had a problem yet..( Knock on wood)

Quick Reply: Another CAR WONT START thread. Please help.