General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How long should a replacement headlight gear last?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should a replacement headlight gear last?

I recently installed a brand new plastic gear in my motor. It went out almost one month later. I hear about these brass ones, but I don't want to get them because I hear bad reviews about them.
How long should a plastic gear last once it is replaced?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the aluminum gear and i havnt had any issues, been in the car for 3 months no stutters at all, its my daily driver. A moto my dad told me is, your car will only give you the same love that you give it. i put the best on my bird *with reason* not talking like MSD fan boy lol i find a brand that treats me well and i stay with them. there is a thread on here on how to replace it. i will 10/10 recomend a metal gear. as you know from replacing it, its a plastic gear against a metal spindal. doesnt work very well and is really easy to strip when its really hot or really cold. hope this helps mate. feel free to message me about the aluminum/brass gear
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bad Reviews?!?!?

Originally Posted by Mr.Highway
I hear about these brass ones, but I don't want to get them because I hear bad reviews about them.
Bad Reviews?!?!?

Well, I (and many others here) only have good things to say about metal headlamp gears.

Read the Sticky (below), then do it once and be done with it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They last anywhere from one day to 14 years.....lol

You just never can tell.....

Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Yes, I've read a couple of bad reviews on forums stating that they prefer the plastic gears because the brass ones sometimes have the tendency of messing up the motor. I have also read bad ones on YouTube.
So are the replacements brass or aluminum, as long as they don't ruin my motor, then ill be more than happy to purchase one of those.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How many bad reviews have you seen of this? And what else other than it messing up the motor? I don't see how it would mess up the motor. It's still pushing and pulling the same amount of weight of the headlight housing, the only difference is that the connection doesn't break down with the brass gear like the plastic one does. More than likely their motors just went out because they were oh idk, 10+ years old and have been actuated thousands of times maybe?!?! And they couldn't have screwed something up in the rebuild process as well.

In my opinion, all of that work you did to put in a plastic gear is completely wasted.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I've read a couple of bad reviews on forums stating that they prefer the plastic gears because the brass ones sometimes have the tendency of messing up the motor. I have also read bad ones on YouTube.
So are the replacements brass or aluminum, as long as they don't ruin my motor, then ill be more than happy to purchase one of those.
The bad thing that some of the metal gears do....they strip the worm gear inside the motor. Then you need a new motor. I know of a couple people that had this happen. Metal gear worked for a few days, then it stopped. Worm gears got stripped.

All you can do to try to avoid that from happening.....the install has to be perfect and the metal gear must fit into the worm gear very tightly, no play.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How long should a plastic gear last once it is replaced?
In years. Your problem is probably the motor separating from the gear housing on the motor unit. This is what caused the failure in the first place and will also strip metal gears. ... like this:

Time for a new motor. (Theoretically, you can tighten up the connection, but I don't have a lot of faith in the longevity of that fix.)
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used brass gears whenever my factory gears worn out, ever since I have had 0 problems
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if anyone has tried to epoxy the metal portion of the gear to the plastic part that is held by the tabs... hmmmm
Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
I wonder if anyone has tried to epoxy the metal portion of the gear to the plastic part that is held by the tabs... hmmmm
It's a really bad design...

The joint would be in tension, which epoxy is not very strong in withstanding. It would eventually crack in a brittle manner. There are high tension epoxies, but its really nasty commercial stuff.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Used brass gears in a 98 t/a about 5 years before I sold the car with them still working.
**** pop up headlights.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Teching In

I have another question, what kind of grease should i use for plastic and aluminum gears? Is too much grease also bad if you are going to be using a plastic one?

Quick Reply: How long should a replacement headlight gear last?