General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with power steering fluid loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with power steering fluid loss

I'm losing power steering fluid but I don't see any leaks. I'm assuming it's leaking from the power steering cooler (or heater, depending on how you look at it) because it looks like there is some oily fluid in the coolant. Is this common? Lastly, does anyone have the part number for the cooler so I can check gmpartsdirect before I call the dealership tomorrow. Thanks.
mike
Old 04-13-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try SDPC for the cooler >>-->

Must admit.. never heard of issues with them.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

I never heard of this happening either but I just can't think of anywhere else it is going. I'm stumped. I should probably do the obvious and take it off and check it before I order. But, yeah, right after I posted that I thought about SDPC and I pm'ed them, and he will be able to get if for me if I need it.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Check the top of the pump for fluid stains. No joke, even with the power steering cooler, my car still over heats the fluid (which causes it to expand) and then seaps out of the cap. No big deal, I just add a little more fluid every couple of months.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

At first I thought that is what it was, but now it's a pretty big leak because it will be so low that it starts making the growling noises by the time I get to work. Plus, I see more oily substances in the coolant. I will change the cooler and hopefully that will fix it.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

You have oil in your coolent? Dude the power steering system and the engine cooling system are two totally different systems. The only place they even come close to each other is the radiator and the power steering cooler (which is really just some long tubes with fins welded on). And that's just a matter of proximity. If you have oil in your coolent, then that came from the motor. Better check for a blown head gasket.

BTW, the power steering systems has lots o connections, could be leaking from almost anyone of them. Only way to tell is to craw under the car and take a look
Old 04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

I thought about that too, but isn't it possible for the cooler to be leaking and the leak would go into the cooling system because it is inline with the radiator hose. I looked under the car and it's dry. It is running fine and the oil level is normal. Plus, I thought a blown head gasket would more likely cause coolant to get in the oil, not the other way around... at least that is what happened when my friend blew a head gasket on his lt1. Well, I will find out tonight because I will put a new cooler on.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats scary!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...power+steering

OK, I found this thread and now I don't feel sooo crazy.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Humm, Maybe, stranger things have happened.