General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Code P0443 - Can't put gas in tank!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0443 - Can't put gas in tank!

Hey guys, I've been here before but years ago. Anyways, I'm back and hopefully you can help me out.

I have an '01 WS6 - A4 if that matters.

My SES lights came on a while ago and I took it to the shop (for something unrelated) and they mechanic said it was probably the Cats and I said don't worry just delete the codes.

He did, it reappeared and said the new one was because of the gas cap. I bought a new cap. The code stayed on.

After the new cap I started not to be able to put gas in. It only took like.25 cents and then spit it out. Took it to the mechanic and he took the gas tank out and switched the tube inside ($600+).

It worked fine for a couple months (only filled up 2-3 times, I rarely drive the car). Then same thing. I switched to the old gas cap, worked for a couple months, then the same thing. If I take the cap off and leave it off for like 5-6 hours, it'll take gas no problem.

Well I got a ODBII using my phone. Pulled codes P0440 and P0443. That was with the gas cap off. Put it on (the OEM one), deleted the codes and P0440 disappeared. P0443 is coming back.

Is this why I'm not able to get gas in all the time? Any way to fix this myself or is it a bigger issue. My mechanic is apparently an idiot so I don't want to waste unnecessary money. However I'm not a great mechanic myself.

Please let me know if you can help. Pictures or anything would be appreciated. I'm a newbie to working on my card!

Sorry for the long post.

Mike
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my tank is very empty I also have this issue. It seems to only happen when I am very low on gas and only at certain gas stations.

Have you tried taking it to a different gas station?

you can also pull back on the black rubber thingy on the nozzle. I guess it is due to the back pressure.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Teching In

THanks for answering.

Yea, I've tried multiple stations. Only when I'm less than a quarter of a tank or so though.

At first I figured it was the gas cap because the ones I purchased weren't OEM and upon inspection realized they didn't have the same vent as the OEM one. And sometimes I could hear a 'whoosh' when I first opened the cap. But with the OEM the sound hasn't happened.

My issue is it's now my daily driver (after being just a weekend car) and I can't afford to be stuck somewhere and not be able to fill out. I'm hoping the P0443 code is the issue and it's something I can somehow check or fix myself, with my limited and awkward car skills.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

just pull back the rubber thingy on the nozzle like you are filling up a gas can. I don't know about the code though
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Sounds like the evap solenoid may be defective/stuck shut.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikey67
Sounds like the evap solenoid may be defective/stuck shut.
That's what I got from googling. Is there any write up as to how to replace it or check and to find the part #?

I want to attempt to do it myself since every says it's simple and I really don't have the work schedule to leave it at a shop.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

id be curious to know what the fix is...my cavalier does this when ive been filling up lately. it'll run on full for a few seconds and stop. Even if Im holding it. i have to pull it out quite a bit, and use much slower fill speed..sometimes I can get it to 'lock' the handle at the lowest fill speed but then it takes forever. Its random gas stations. Its annoying as sin.

I do have an aftermarket fuel pump/harness (actually the one for the fbody upgrades heheh) but it was fine for months before this started.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From gearchatter (for 2001 F-body): P0443, P0440

Quick Reply: Code P0443 - Can't put gas in tank!