General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/c vent fell back into the duct

Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A/c vent fell back into the duct

While removing a broken ac vent in my 98 t/a it fell down the duct. How do retrieve it. Is it even worth the hassle?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes its worth it. Having it down there will disrupt air flow through the duct. A grabber tool should do the trick for you:
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes its worth it. Having it down there will disrupt air flow through the duct. A grabber tool should do the trick for you:
Ok I got you, but when it fell it sounded like it went to the bottom of the dash either behind the front console or the glove box. I tried to fish a wire with some duct tape sticky side up around it and only got about 16 - 20". If I can't fish it out is there something I have to dismantle.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If it went behind the glove box, you can drop that down and then look behind it.

If it went behind the front console, remove your radio and then look behind that.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks fellas ima try it out, the car has sat for about 3 years. I turned the accessory power on and air was not blowing out the vents, so I will try your suggestions. oh, the blower motor seems noisy should I just replace it since theyre so cheap?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put a battery in the car and turned the ac system on and I could not get air from the dash vent, or maybe extremely little flow. I can't tell if the door is stuck, or maybe the vent piece that fell in is causing all of this. The car has bee sitting idle for about three years. I pulled the blower motor, and glove box but I don't see of cannot tell how to get in the ducting.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh one very important thing we removed the intake a while back bc, I'm guessing now by reading some other post that is the reason air is not blowing through the vents. But someone please chime in about retrieving this piece out if my vents.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Is the vent in the duct, or not? I recall that the ducting is all one blow molded piece. If so, the only way to get it out is to reach in there with a long tool and grab it. (You can't take the duct work apart.)

BTW - What do you mean you removed the intake? The air intake at the engine compartment?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the vent in the duct, or not? I recall that the ducting is all one blow molded piece. If so, the only way to get it out is to reach in there with a long tool and grab it. (You can't take the duct work apart.)

BTW - What do you mean you removed the intake? The air intake at the engine compartment?
I was attempting remove a broken vent ring in the middle of the dash. I accidentally dropped it and it fell in and sounded like it went to the bottom of the dash or glove compartment. I can't see anything, feel anything, or pass a wire more than 12-16 inches pass the vent opening. I finally got a battery for the car to turn the air on and see if the vent was blocking anything. the a/c wont actually work bc the intake manifold is off and I can't start the engine. But the blower did come on, I went through the vent settings and could not get air out of the front dash vents. I just want to retrieve that vent from the ducting that my main priority.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Save the manuals!

It sounds like you dropped it down in the duct. Either you need a tool to reach down there and get it out or you need to take the entire duct out of the car and turn it upside down.

Maybe if you remove the blower, you might get better access to the system? Not sure.

Doing nothing is probably not a good option because that thing will rattle like a maraca at every bump.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

It sounds like you dropped it down in the duct. Either you need a tool to reach down there and get it out or you need to take the entire duct out of the car and turn it upside down.

Maybe if you remove the blower, you might get better access to the system? Not sure.

Doing nothing is probably not a good option because that thing will rattle like a maraca at every bump.
That's what I was thinking since I suggested he'd drop the glove box and check there. I have to remove my blower and see if there are any leaves present.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
That's what I was thinking since I suggested he'd drop the glove box and check there. I have to remove my blower and see if there are any leaves present.
Yeah I removed the blower motor and stuck my arm as far as my elbows in there, couldn't feel anything.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Oh man, if you can get a flexible rod, (dip stick) and put it in the vent, maybe you can push it down towards the blower motor opening.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Save the manuals!

This will probably break your budget, but its the perfect tool for this kind of thing. http://www.provision100.com/

Its the same stuff a doctor would stick up your ***, but its designed for machinery and doesn't require lube... It also has the added benefit of a periscope and magnet attachment that you can put on the end.

I dropped a bolt down my B-Pillar replacing a seat belt a few months ago and this tool combined with one of the grabbers above was the only thing (short of cutting a hole in my B-Pillar that could have gotten the thing out.

Hilti or Milwaukee make these things now, as well. You might be able to rent one at a Home Depot or other tool rental place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/c vent fell back into the duct