General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

another electrical issue.. car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default another electrical issue.. car wont start

so i got into my car to move it off the street before we got 3 feet of snow dumped on us and i go to start it and nothing. all the guage lights lit up, headlights flipped up and on when i turned those on.. but when i turned the key to start it wouldnt even attempt to crank. all the guages and lights stayed lit. battery is maybe 2 months old tops so its not that. i have no idea.. its almost like the clutch wasnt pushed in, but it was. i need to rebleed my clutch could it be this? i tried pumping it numerous time but it didnt make a difference. also my father and i pushed it up the hill and let it roll down and tried to pop start it with the clutch and it would fire but die instantly. even if i smashed the gas right after all it would do is rev up for not even half a second and die instantly.

any ideas as to what this could be??
thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an extra key to try? Have you bypassed VATS with the resistor mod? If no, Sounds like a VATS issue. If you have performed the resistor mod to bypass the VATS please ignore this msg! ALL THESE Cars will eventually fail to start due to the ignition failure or the key pellets being worn down. EVEN some cars with resistor mods fail to start due to VATS. It must also be tuned out of the software. If you have an extra key with a decent resistor pellet on it, car may start. If all your keys are worn it won't. good luck

Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an extra key to try? Have you bypassed VATS with the resistor mod? If no, Sounds like a VATS issue. If you have performed the resistor mod to bypass the VATS please ignore this msg! ALL THESE Cars will eventually fail to start due to the ignition failure or the key pellets being worn down. EVEN some cars with resistor mods fail to start due to VATS. It must also be tuned out of the software. If you have an extra key with a decent resistor pellet on it, car may start. If all your keys are worn it won't. The reason why you can't bump start the car is because the VATS system also controls the fuel to injectors. Starter will turn but no fuel! good luck

Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

i havent done the resistor mod, ill give that a shot as soon as the snow clears and i can find my car again! thanks, and thanks for the youtube videos as well!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Starter relay??
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

So I went to start the resistor project today however I set my ohm reader to zero like it says to when I have the 2 prongs touching, then I tried to get a reading on the key and it went straight to zero. So how am I supposed to work with that?! Shouldn't it have an actual reading?

On a side note I only have one key but the chip in it looks pretty good very minor blemishes to the finish of it from what I can tell...
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

anyone have any ideas here? i changed the battery and used different ohm readers and they all say the same thing - zero. or if i set it to say 3, itll read 3.

is there something im missing here?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

ok so i found out you have to put the prongs on both sides of the pellet, not the key, unlike how the video stated. anyway it measured to be about 500 ohm (my ohmmeter only has 1 setting which is 1k instead of 20k) i used this site as a source
http://vats.likeabigdog.com/
so i figured my resistor in the car is set for .523 or the #2 resistor that GM used. so i got a 470 ohm and 47 ohm resistor (it says you can be within 2% and .517 is) i just twisted the wires together and taped everything real tight with electrical tape because i wanted to make sure this was the problem and if it was and it worked i would go back and do it so its not so ghetto. however when i put it into the 2 little white wires that are inside the bigger yellow insulation it made no difference. still has the security light showing on the dash. wtf is wrong with this thing? im totally stumped here
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

ok so i found out you have to put the prongs on both sides of the pellet, not the key, unlike how the video stated. anyway it measured to be about 500 ohm (my ohmmeter only has 1 setting which is 1k instead of 20k) i used this site as a source
http://vats.likeabigdog.com/
so i figured my resistor in the car is set for .523 or the #2 resistor that GM used. so i got a 470 ohm and 47 ohm resistor (it says you can be within 2% and .517 is) i just twisted the wires together and taped everything real tight with electrical tape because i wanted to make sure this was the problem and if it was and it worked i would go back and do it so its not so ghetto. however when i put it into the 2 little white wires that are inside the bigger yellow insulation it made no difference. still has the security light showing on the dash. wtf is wrong with this thing? im totally stumped here

Quick Reply: another electrical issue.. car wont start