General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn signal problem

I have read the sticky and although it was helpful to rule a couple things out it really doesn't pertain to my issue persay. I drove to work this morning and they were working just fine....and even if they weren't I didn't notice. Got in the car after work and went to use the signals. Thats when I noticed they were acting weird. When I clicked the turn signal lever either up or down the arrow on the dash would stay on for a second then flash like it should, then the next time it was supposed to flash it would flicker for maybe a second then flash. Its really intermintent on what its doing...it never really did the same thing twice. I got home so I could look at the outside lights to see if they are doing the same thing the dash is doing. I thought that if they were acting normal that I could live with it for a couple days untill I could really diagnose it. But they are doing the samething as what the arrows on the dash are doing. It does it on both sides only when trying to use the turn signal...not when using the emergency flashers.

Anybody have any ideas? Is the switch in the column going bad? A bad flasher....or something else. If it were a bad socket I could see it doing it on one side but not both. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Kinda want to get some ideas before I go tearing into the column and dash.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The same components exist between the turn signal and hazard circuits.

If you run the hazards and they work fine, then this is just your turn signal flasher. (It sounds like its "kinda-bad" about to fall over to "fully-bad.")
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing is on my way to work this morning I was clicking the lever by hand so it would seems somewhat like it was working. Next thing you know...I exit the the hiway click the signal it worked. Not like it should but it worked better. I figured the turn signal switch was going bad but it seems the manual clicking freed it up a bit. Who knows..they probably wont work at all tommarow then all of a sudden work again.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Turn signal problem