General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering cooler mod question

Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power steering cooler mod question

I checked my power steering fluid when I changed my oil and found coolant in it, so I read up a bit and found the power steering cooler mod but have a few questions... I know I need the upper radiator hose from a car without the power steering cooler... This is the real long hose right?

Second, how are you all connecting the pressure and return hoses to the new cooler? The stock lines have AN style fittings and the cooler obviously does not....
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, you need the original length coolant hose oreillys has it. And just like the stock cooler you only need to tap into the low pressure side of the system. so its just hose connections with screw clamps.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

alot of people say just delete the power steering cooler and it will be fine or better than what gm tried to do.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
I checked my power steering fluid when I changed my oil and found coolant in it, so I read up a bit and found the power steering cooler mod but have a few questions... I know I need the upper radiator hose from a car without the power steering cooler... This is the real long hose right?

Second, how are you all connecting the pressure and return hoses to the new cooler? The stock lines have AN style fittings and the cooler obviously does not....
Simple.
Attach the all rubber hose coming from the bottom of the reservoir to one port on the new cooler.....then attach the all rubber line coming off the rack to the other port. Just cut the ends off of each hose with a razor knife and start fresh. pop each end on the new cooler and clamp them. Two clamps and youre done.

The high pressure line is ALL metal coming out of the reservoir and going down to the rack. You don't mess with that line.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Could the ps cooler be leaking? The passenger Side of my car has ps fluid all over it. Looks as if it's dripping from the cooler.
Hard to delete
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrench7777
Could the ps cooler be leaking? The passenger Side of my car has ps fluid all over it. Looks as if it's dripping from the cooler.
Hard to delete
You mean the cooler that's in the upper radiator hose???

They leak all the time. Both inside to the coolant and outside.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
You mean the cooler that's in the upper radiator hose???

They leak all the time. Both inside to the coolant and outside.

This is why I gave up on it, and just installed a stacked plate cooler into the same line instead.

I need one since I open track/road race/autocross the car, and even with a Turn One pump, and Red Line fluid, the reservoir would boil over on warm/hot days.

But yes, most of you pure drag racers on here could probably do without one completely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering cooler mod question