General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whats this noise? Sounds like a Blower after New Alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this noise? Sounds like a Blower after New Alternator.

Check out the video and let me know if you have any ideas.
I installed the 145A alternator and now I'm getting a strange new noise that sounds like I installed a super charger. The noise doesn't seem to be coming from any pulley in particular -. I spun all the pullies by hand and didn't notice anything funny. I also inspected the belt and didn't see anything funny - looks good. I've also attached a photo of how far the tensioner is stretched for reference - in case there's something funny there.

Attached Thumbnails Whats this noise? Sounds like a Blower after New Alternator.-z28_tensioner.jpg  

Last edited by bjernigan; 02-20-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you double check and make sure you routed the belt correctly, are the mount bolts tight, and is the belt new?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Yup, reinstalled the belt to make sure - but I don't think you could put this belt on wrong. Bolts are all tight. Same belt as before.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Pulleys can whine even without any play/slop in the bearing. I can't play the video at work, but I'm 98% certain that is your issue.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Launching!

I have a similar sound... I installed a bigger alt and it does sound sort of like a blower. But seems ok to me.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I had a Power Master 200amp alt on my car it always made a whirling sound, like a turbo spooling up. It did this since the day I first installed it up until the time it went out years later.
BTW it's possible to route the belt wrong around the idler pulley on the driver side and still have it run normally. Does your belt after it goes around the alt pulley go straight back up and over the idler pulley then down and around the crank pulley?

Here's the correct belt routing:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...lt-routing.gif
Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recheck the electrical cables going from the positive battery terminal to your three contact points and make sure you have a good contact. I dealt with the "supercharger" whine after I installed my alternator and it ended up being a bad contact with the negative terminal.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
When I had a Power Master 200amp alt on my car it always made a whirling sound, like a turbo spooling up. It did this since the day I first installed it up until the time it went out years later.
BTW it's possible to route the belt wrong around the idler pulley on the driver side and still have it run normally. Does your belt after it goes around the alt pulley go straight back up and over the idler pulley then down and around the crank pulley?

Here's the correct belt routing:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...lt-routing.gif

I really dont understand how anyone could route this belt the wrong way.
On a side note I have a powermaster and it dosent whine but it has an annoying loud chirping.

How about the air pump? Could the air pump have something to do with the noise?
Old 03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Believe me I didn't either, but a couple months after getting my car back from a warranty repair back in 2000 I happened to look at the way the belt was routed. It was routed from the WP down and around the idler pulley then up and around the PS pulley, and from the Alt pulley straight to the Crank pulley.
Easy way to see if the air pump is causing it, pull the fuse.

Quick Reply: Whats this noise? Sounds like a Blower after New Alternator.