General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please advise por 15 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advise por 15 help

Car is on lift in heated gargae around 60 degrees, stripped an marine cleaned all oil grease and loose rust removed. Applied the metal ready (etch) part 2 or por system. This product is ment to turn rust black( iron oxide).
My problen is however the metal pred is not changing the color of my rust, ive applied left on for 30+ minutes rinsed, nothing so dried and done it again still nothing? Any ideas help etcc....
My other problem is i only have use of lift until friday thus was gona etch tonight and paint tomorrow, now hinking i may go the ospho route and paint with something else.

Please anyone else ever experience this prob with por metal ready( prep and etch)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had a couple problems with por 15 at my shop , I switched the products to SEM rust-shield after many long call to service at Por , i had to re-do a couple chassis i did because the stuff wouldn't harden all the way..The rust shield is a very similar product that gets the job done , it can be a 2 part system or single , we just clean really good and spray it on with a gun or paint brush , either way , you can thin the stuff with thinner for the gun or just use as is with brush and lays down nice and leaves a great semi gloss finish that lasts many moons...Price is like $80 a gallon and that stuff goes along away.We have gotten aprx 2 1/2 complete chassis out of a gallon..

Sorry i cant answer your original post , i have nothing against Por-15, i used it for a few years with varying results,most of time it was good..
Its just the Sem products have been really consistent which is good for us as a shop and i have recommended them to few other of my buddies who have had the same results on their hot rods....
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I've been using POR15 for years and never used any of their 'system' components other than the final POR15 coating,never had a problem with inability to coat,age,or chipping.Once heavy scaled rust is removed,I just paint it on the remaining surface rust layer. Even metal surfaces that don't appear to be rusted have a molecular oxidation layer which is what POR15 needs.

some examples

radiator support rail before & after

Last edited by FirstYrLS1Z; 02-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Please advise por 15 help