General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering System Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering System Replacement

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 Camaro SS M6 with just under 180K miles. Bought is september 8th, and drove just under 3000 miles. I bought it knowing that it had a leak in the power steering, and over the course of the driving season, finally exhausted what remained of the entire system. The pump leaks enough that it destroyed my alternator(Doing the 145 amp upgrade as well), and both boots on the rack are leaking like a civ.

When I checked the lines, whoever had fiddled with it before had used 4 hose clamps on the bottom end of the return line, and put one on too far past the metal line, pinching the rubber line. Needless to say I replaced that when I was looking at it.
What I am writing to ask is, before I order replacement parts, does anyone have recommendations on parts manufacturers? Specifically for the pump and rack. My choices are between A1Cardone(O'Reilly), Fenco(Advanced Auto), And AC Delco(Napa). They all basically have the same warranty, but I am way more concerned with what's going to last the longest. I have spent the winter months searching on the forums for any other threads regarding this, but couldn't find anything that gave solid info. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've seen everyone will say AC Delco, but again, not sure, I haven't replaced mine yet and need to soon!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on shipping my stock rack and pinion off to Turnone for their rebuild. Very high quality service and it will be better than new.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quality varies in rebuilt parts. I've had pretty good luck with Cardone, they are big and have been rebuilding for a long time.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used mostly AC Delco parts on my vehicles, not saying others are not as good but I haven't had any problems with any AC parts
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
I plan on shipping my stock rack and pinion off to Turnone for their rebuild. Very high quality service and it will be better than new.
Thanks for the suggestions/and replies everyone. I called Turnone and I might go with that. I am always a little wary of box store remans.

More comments would be appreciated!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I also went to TurnOne and they sent the part back to me within a week. They are a first class operation. They also did a stock rebuild for me, (instead of their performance rebuild) which is something I wanted for city driving.

While you are at it, you should probably also look at doing the cooler mod.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
IF they could turn it around quick enough, THIS^^^ is exactly what I would do!! (I use this car every single day with NO 'beater'/winter car to use in the down time, like almost everyone else on here. )

I have their p.s. pump on the car now and could not be happier with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know about the Turnone rebuild and I bought one from Autozone. Havent had a problem three years since putting it on.

Honestly its just a standard GM pump....as far as I know.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I also went to TurnOne and they sent the part back to me within a week. They are a first class operation. They also did a stock rebuild for me, (instead of their performance rebuild) which is something I wanted for city driving.

While you are at it, you should probably also look at doing the cooler mod.
Thanks for the replies everyone! Makes the decision easier. Yea I am definitely doing the cooler mod. I was brand new to any performance oriented car before I bought mine, couldn't believe what they called a power steering cooler when I found out! The things I could say to GM about it. Haha.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jacobdztech
Thanks for the replies everyone! Makes the decision easier. Yea I am definitely doing the cooler mod. I was brand new to any performance oriented car before I bought mine, couldn't believe what they called a power steering cooler when I found out! The things I could say to GM about it. Haha.
Actually, the factory one works fairly well, until it dumps p.s. fluid into your cooling system.

So yes, I also did the stacked plate, air to fluid cooler mod.

Quick Reply: Power Steering System Replacement