General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacement ac compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacement ac compressor?

Not looking to get a china unit, and haven't really seen anything positive from the remans. Are the denso units any good? Tried searching but haven't found anything except buy a used one.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can find a genuine nippodenso then yes they are great units. But there are a ton of ***** nippodenso knock offs of them also.

Be sure to replace the accumulator and orifice tube and it's highly recommended to replace the condenser especially if the compressor blew up. They are almost impossible to flush completely and guarantee a job to stay together correctly. Best bet is OE gm.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try to get either a denso or acdelco unit which was originally made by delphi. anyway I've had a new delphi in my car for over 3 years now and its been great. I replaced the orifice tube which should come with the new compressor anyway as well as the drier and its been good.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
If you can find a genuine nippodenso then yes they are great units. But there are a ton of ***** nippodenso knock offs of them also.

Be sure to replace the accumulator and orifice tube and it's highly recommended to replace the condenser especially if the compressor blew up. They are almost impossible to flush completely and guarantee a job to stay together correctly. Best bet is OE gm.
it didn't blow up, it developed a bad squeak and then I took the belt off because it was so annoying. Got to the point where I could hear it over my exhaust. It still blows cold air but the compressor is just showing its age. Will do thank you, Gonna order one of ebay tonight most likely while its still below 80 degrees out here in houston.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also anyone hear anything about delphi units?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A/c Delco......lifetime warranty. Have the dealer do it and they'll give you a lifetime labor too. It'll be the last a/c repair you ever pay for.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsa347
Also anyone hear anything about delphi units?
i posted about it in my reply... thats what was on my car oem and i replaced with another one of the same and i have no issues after 3 years.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
i posted about it in my reply... thats what was on my car oem and i replaced with another one of the same and i have no issues after 3 years.
Sorry I had just gotten out of lab and my head hurt from all the imboming fluid lol, I ended up finding a guy local who had a complete ac system for $250 and with only 44k miles because he went turbo. Figure I'll install it all when I do cam and heads here in about a month.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a brand new a/c system from autozone. Don't remember the brand, but everything was $300 and change. Had it for about a year and it blows like ice. I don't trust used compressors.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the oreilly brand called Murray I think?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
A/c Delco......lifetime warranty. Have the dealer do it and they'll give you a lifetime labor too. It'll be the last a/c repair you ever pay for.
Are you sure on this? How much to get this lifetime warranty?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Are you sure on this? How much to get this lifetime warranty?
This is true based on my recent experience. No extra cost (except the higher cost of a dealer to begin with). The catch is that you have to find a dealer that will do it. I went to three dealers and got a different story at each one (remember that they are independently owned):

1st: 12mos/12k mi
2nd: Lifetime compressor, labor not included.
3rd: Lifetime compressor and labor.

The GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual Section 1.1.4 (June 3, 2013) defines what's now called the "GM Certified Service New Limited Lifetime Parts Warranty (LLPW)". A handful of parts are included for this great OE coverage including compressors, coils, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, shocks, bearings, water pumps.

Be careful though, as the coverage of labor is at the dealer's discretion. Be sure to have the SA add "Lifetime parts and labor" in the notes of the receipt.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRBWS6
This is true based on my recent experience. No extra cost (except the higher cost of a dealer to begin with). The catch is that you have to find a dealer that will do it. I went to three dealers and got a different story at each one (remember that they are independently owned):

1st: 12mos/12k mi
2nd: Lifetime compressor, labor not included.
3rd: Lifetime compressor and labor.

The GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual Section 1.1.4 (June 3, 2013) defines what's now called the "GM Certified Service New Limited Lifetime Parts Warranty (LLPW)". A handful of parts are included for this great OE coverage including compressors, coils, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, shocks, bearings, water pumps.

Be careful though, as the coverage of labor is at the dealer's discretion. Be sure to have the SA add "Lifetime parts and labor" in the notes of the receipt.

Yup. Two weeks ago I went back to my dealership (Sheehan Pontiac) and got a brand new compressor and they also installed a new A/C line that goes from the back of the compressor to the bottom of the condenser ($120.00 line)........all for FREE under my lifetime parts and labor warranty. And of course they recharged it. I got that warranty at NO EXTRA CHARGE about 7 years ago when I got my new compressor installed at that dealership.

Also, why it was in the air we noticed that one of my end links was missing a bushing. So while they were swapping the A/C stuff I called Advance and had some new front end links sent over. The mechanic put them on for me in like 5 minutes. NO CHARGE. I gave him a $20.00.

My Lifetime warranty just paid for itself and then some..........it's nice to have the dealership bent over the barrel for once.....lol

Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

From my research, the program used to be called Limited Lifetime Service Guarantee (LSG). Although it included the same types of parts, it looks like labor coverage may have been a requirement, or was more commonly covered.

I wish I had known about these programs before. Thanks to LS6427 for posting about this!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

From my research, the program used to be called Limited Lifetime Service Guarantee (LSG). Although it included the same types of parts, it looks like labor coverage may have been a requirement, or was more commonly covered.

I wish I had known about these programs before. Thanks to LS6427 for posting about this!
No problem.

My dealership is really a pretty awesome place, not at all like most dealerships.

When I still had my aluminum 427ci in the car like 10 years ago:
I stripped the bolt that held my A/C tensioner pulley on. So it would get loose and throw the belt off in just a few miles of driving each time I tightened it. I drove over to my dealership and told them about it. The service writer called the A/C guy over and the technician said that to fix it you have to use a sleeve kit because the aluminum is stripped out. The service writer said I'm heading to lunch if you want to deal with it while I'm gone, go for it. The technician told me which bay to drive my car around to and he put it right up in the air. Took the stripped bolt out, drilled the new hole, tapped the new threaded sleeve in and put the tensioner back on. He was done in like 15 min. I was like, OK, so how do I pay for it. The technician was like, see you later man, have a good day, don't worry about it. So of course I tossed him a tip of like $20.00 and I left.
Cool place. I also buy everything in the parts department for WAY less than retail.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem.

My dealership is really a pretty awesome place, not at all like most dealerships.

When I still had my aluminum 427ci in the car like 10 years ago:
I stripped the bolt that held my A/C tensioner pulley on. So it would get loose and throw the belt off in just a few miles of driving each time I tightened it. I drove over to my dealership and told them about it. The service writer called the A/C guy over and the technician said that to fix it you have to use a sleeve kit because the aluminum is stripped out. The service writer said I'm heading to lunch if you want to deal with it while I'm gone, go for it. The technician told me which bay to drive my car around to and he put it right up in the air. Took the stripped bolt out, drilled the new hole, tapped the new threaded sleeve in and put the tensioner back on. He was done in like 15 min. I was like, OK, so how do I pay for it. The technician was like, see you later man, have a good day, don't worry about it. So of course I tossed him a tip of like $20.00 and I left.
Cool place. I also buy everything in the parts department for WAY less than retail.

You almost make me want to relocate in the Sunshine State just to be able to use THAT dealership!!

The moniker "stealership" would not exist IF even half of them were HALF as GREAT as that one sounds.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yup. Two weeks ago I went back to my dealership (Sheehan Pontiac) and got a brand new compressor and they also installed a new A/C line that goes from the back of the compressor to the bottom of the condenser ($120.00 line)........all for FREE under my lifetime parts and labor warranty. And of course they recharged it. I got that warranty at NO EXTRA CHARGE about 7 years ago when I got my new compressor installed at that dealership.
Did they do a new accumulator too? I have heard other shops make you replace it in order to honor a warranty (even if only 1 year warranty).

My compressor hasn't "blown" so the dealer says no accumulator replacement (i.e. not metal shavings).

I hope they don't look at my receipt in 7 years and tell me no accumulator = no lifetime warranty.....
Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 AM
Banned

Did they do a new accumulator too? I have heard other shops make you replace it in order to honor a warranty (even if only 1 year warranty).

My compressor hasn't "blown" so the dealer says no accumulator replacement (i.e. not metal shavings).

I hope they don't look at my receipt in 7 years and tell me no accumulator = no lifetime warranty.....
They didn't put a new accumulator on because the failure was that the compressor blew a seal....it didn't come apart. A friend of mine put some die in it for me....it blew out through the compressor shaft.

I drove to my dealership, the service writer asked me to pop the hood right there in the service drive.....he looked down with a flashlight and saw the die. He said I'll have a compressor here tomorrow, come by and we'll put it on.

That was it.......

Old 10-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default New Lifetime Compressor - but NOT as cold!

To provide some follow up info, the new compressor and orifice tube were installed, lifetime parts & LABOR is clearly stated on the invoice (nice!). PN 89018956 (AC Delco). MADE IN KOREA on label.

But there is a problem: vent air clearly not as cold as it was before the work was done.

1. Old vent temp 40 deg (prior to new compressor which hadn't failed but was leaking PAG).
2. New vent temp 45-47deg (set to fresh air, fan at "2", car in motion).
3. Vent temps do not change with ambient temp (between 60 & 80deg, low humidity).
4. Under the same test conditions, my other cars are blowing 38-40deg right now.

Dealer re-checked the charge and it looks good:

Ambient: 59deg (FSM chart only goes down to 70-80deg)
Low Gauge: 30psi (Range 24-34 for 70-80deg)
High Gauge: 125psi (Range 115-190 for 70-80deg)
Vent: 45deg (Range 34-38 for 70-80deg)
Measured refrigerant weight within 0.2 (oz. I think) of spec.

So according to the chart and my original measurement, it's about 5-7 degrees warmer vent air. This doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference in the summer.

The SA is providing excellent service and wants to get this fixed, ideas?

Last edited by CRBWS6; 07-09-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe moisture in the system....it doesn't take much.

Quick Reply: Replacement ac compressor?