General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

pulley system making noise with higher rpms

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulley system making noise with higher rpms

i recently replaced my power steering pump and pulley and when i cranked it up after install the car started squealing and got louder with higher rpms so i got a new serpentine belt and stopped the squealing but now a few days later the car is making a rattling like noise that starts at like 2000rpms and gets louder and louder especially with revs. i can hear it coming from the right side of the engine like its the power steering pulley or the alternator pulley but the power steering pulley and pump are brand new...could it be that the alternator was leaked on by power steering fluid for so long that the bearing in the alternator pulley has gone bad?

ps. im surprised the alternator isnt dead yet from all the power steering fluid it had all in it and over it.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Bullet_Z28
ps. im surprised the alternator isnt dead yet from all the power steering fluid it had all in it and over it.
I'm pretty sure this is mythology and that you could bathe the alternator in oil every day and it will be fine. The wires and internals of the alternator are sealed against contamination and they get dirty in every car - even when P/S fluid isn't dripping on them. If anything, the bearings are sealed and if contamination is getting inside of them - they are bad to begin with and would start squealing on their own.

The first thing I would check is your new pump. Is it a reman? Is the pulley the correct one with the correct ribs. Does it line up with the other pulleys? (The depth of the accessory pullies is different on various LS engines.)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the pump is brand new and the pulley is not the stock plastic one...i broke it so i went to advanced auto and they gave me a metal pulley. everything lines up perfect also
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd next go to a metal rod or mechanics stethoscope to see which component is making the noise. I had a similar problem after doing P/S work and it turned to be a dud bearing on a 1 year old new alternator.

Quick Reply: pulley system making noise with higher rpms