General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I guess my water pump is going out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess my water pump is going out?

Just as the title says, I have been noticing some pooling of liquid, smells like coolant. Only happens after the car has been running for a few minutes, and doesn't stop until the car is off. I have never replaced a water pump before, so I don't know if it's just the gasket or the whole pump itself. My job keeps me extremely busy so I don't have much time to swap it out. It's not my daily driver so I can sit on it for a bit. I was thinking about taking it in and having it done but if it's super easy, I would rather do it my self. I have read a couple of threads on this but don't feel confident yet. Any help or suggestions?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

if it is your WP its not a big deal. some people like upgrading them.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Yea, I looked around and found some options as far as upgrading. Any particular brand or type?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

http://texas-speed.com/p-18-meziere-...mp-35-gpm.aspx

theyre supposed to be the best brand for LS motors.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It takes about 30 minutes to remove and replace the pump, and another 30 minutes to remove the air from the cooling system.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RickSS
Yea, I looked around and found some options as far as upgrading. Any particular brand or type?
To confirm the pump is bad, you can take a look at the weep hole. (Its really hard to find and you will probably need to use mirrors - but that will confirm the seals in the pump are bad.)

What are you looking to get out of an "upgrade?" There are several options, like the electric pump that ULTIMATEORANGESS linked. Are you racing? Is there something about the old pump you didn't like? Do you have other modifications, which require more flow?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, draining the coolant is the most time consuming part, unless making a big mess doesn't bother you. I'd also change the thermostat if it has never been changed. The only thing I remove for access to the WP is the lid, MAFS, bellow, an throttle body.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If coolant is coming out from behind the pulley, it's probably the pump. Mine did exactly what you are describing, only it wouldn't leak until after a drive.

I went with a Bosch pump. Nothing fancy like the electric ones, but it's about
1/5 the price on Amazon 1/5 the price on Amazon
. It comes with the gasket, just get some blue RTV gasket stuff in the tube to stick the gasket on as it will seal well and makes re-assembly so much easier. I also used the same RTV on my thermostat housing as there wasn't a gasket on it before. Get a couple of large pans to catch coolant when you take things apart. You drain the system through the petcock valve under the radiator, but there's still plenty in the hoses and block.

The job isn't too bad. I also took off the radiator fan support for clearance. When you take everything apart, use that opportunity to flush the system out with a garden hose and a moderate flow (don't use high pressure!). Flush in both directions to the heater core (smaller hoses on the passenger side) and the upper and lower radiator hoses into the block. None of the bolts are hard to get to, as the pump is right there on the front of the engine. I say go for it!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I changed mine. First time doing it. It was really easy. Its only 6 10mm bolts. One thing to watch for is one of the bolts on the right side(facing the pump) is blocked by one of the pulleys. Just put that bolt in first before you put the others on. The heater hoses can be a bish to get off. And the metal gaskets are better then the paper ones. Bleeding the system of air is not bad. Just jack the front up and fill it. Then squeeze the radiator hoses until you dont see any more bubbles. turn the car on and let the tstat open then fill accordingly. Put cap on and drive it some. Let it cool down and check the level.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Ok, seems like I can tackle it myself.i guess bleeding the radiator fluid is going to be the hardest part. Looks like I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nah, bleeding is easy on these cars as the rad cap is the highest point in the system. The hardest part is catching coolant underneath and trying not to make too big of a mess when you flush with the garden hose...and that's really not so much hard, as it is messy. The hoses can be stuck on if it's been a while, but just work at twisting them or get them started with a flathead screw driver if you're careful not to scratch anything.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one of the bearings in my pump was shot and so the bell would wabble xD but you might replace it as soon as possible, i was getting gas and as i was sitting in the gas i saw this smoke/fog like stuff go across the hood, i asked the girl if she saw it, she told me no. so i felt like i was going mad. quickly popped the hood and had a nice steam bath haha. needless to say the pump literally dumped out and to go 10 miles i went threw 3 galons of water. not fun haha
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Damn Mista Blazer, that's a rough situation. I finally had some time to take a look under the car. Definitely leaking from behind the pulley, guess my water pump is done. Anyone have any experience with autozone's duralast water pump? I have an autozone down the street and can pick it up today.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i got mine from autozone. get the new one. not the remaned one. it comes with a lifetime warranty as well. Havent had any problems with it yet. i would suggest switch from dexcool to the green antifreeze. make sure to flush real well.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Damn Mista Blazer, that's a rough situation. I finally had some time to take a look under the car. Definitely leaking from behind the pulley, guess my water pump is done. Anyone have any experience with autozone's duralast water pump? I have an autozone down the street and can pick it up today.
IMO - the AC Delcos seem to have done really well on our cars overall. (The threads on water pumps going out seems to have picked up after 10 years.) So, I chose to wait a few extra days to get the Delco. (They also improved the design in the early 2000's, I recall.)

So - To answer (or not) your question, I don't have experience with Duralast but have had really good experiences with my original and replacement Delco Water Pump.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Yea, ive heard good things about delco. Guess I should shop around
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
i got mine from autozone. get the new one. not the remaned one. it comes with a lifetime warranty as well. Havent had any problems with it yet. i would suggest switch from dexcool to the green antifreeze. make sure to flush real well.
Which green antifreeze are you referring to?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Which green antifreeze are you referring to?
The green kind. Just read the label and you'll figure it out.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Oh, easy enough!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Save the manuals!

For a normal DD, green may not be the best way to go.

Quick Reply: I guess my water pump is going out?